Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR Jason Falla/RB1 2-Day Tactical Carbine, Nov 8-9, 2011 - Castro Valley, CA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The Win 64 gr Powerpoint JSP was a good load in 1990, but technology has moved on. RA223R2 is inexpensive on the CA state contract, but is not a barrier blind load and in fact performed pathetically in the Oakland CHP shooting incident last year. Most of the newer barrier blind loads (TBBC, Win Bonded, CLUB, Gold Dot) are bonded and have much less lead exposed at the tip than older JSP designs like the Win PP. For example, we have not seen the same functional problems with the 64 gr Gold Dots as with the 64 gr RA223R2.
    Thanks, DocGKR. This is very important info considering how people are pursuing barrier blind loads.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great post Jason, very informative! Thanks for taking the time to explain your setup.

I wonder if ADM or Larue is listening...perhaps ADM could add another taller riser to incorporate it's use in conjunct w/ their AD-B2 modular base. I'm currently running the AD-B2 w/ lower 1/3rd riser but would be very open to trying out a taller riser in order to try out your above method. They recently developed a Recon-H which gives optics like the TR21/24 or other 1-4x types a more " heads up " mounting solution which I believe is very advantageous for those particular types of optics.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 11-16-11 at 23:23.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks very much for the informative post, Jason.

I have an LT-171 attached to a pic rail fragment; I'd like to try this setup with my T-1.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    HK 416 already has an elevated top rail; that T-1 must be sitting really high up. I'd imagine some adjustment would be needed for close shots in regards to mechanical offset, and co-witnessing is out, but those are minor issues.
    I am glad you posted this, Jason. After spending some time with SCAR system I've developed a preference for elevated top rails rather an inline rail-stock design of AR. Your post validates my impression and suggests a solution.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    HK 416 already has an elevated top rail; that T-1 must be sitting really high up. I'd imagine some adjustment would be needed for close shots in regards to mechanical offset, and co-witnessing is out, but those are minor issues.
    I am glad you posted this, Jason. After spending some time with SCAR system I've developed a preference for elevated top rails rather an inline rail-stock design of AR. Your post validates my impression and suggests a solution.
    The mechanical offset is negligible really. This is something that needs to be embedded into your mind for every shot. Never think that you only have to apply a hold over just for a technical low percentage hostage option. If you do that you will never remember to include it. But if you always shoot with a hold over, you will naturally incorporate it in every shot. On an 8 inch circle, I will always aim to the high 1/3 even though I know the round will land inside if I aim center.

On our CT team we had to shoot at one time, HKMP5s with a high mounted Aimpoint on an HK high mount! The height of the sight over the barrel was about 5 inches! We would include a hold every time. So you get used to it!

Let me know how it goes for you!

Feedback Score
    "Interestingly, he strongly dislikes PMAGS"

Curious about this. Did he state his reasons?
    Thanks,
    Colt

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe that Jason mentioned that he has found them to volcano/spew rounds on occasions. Hopefully Jason will chime in with more details.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I believe that Jason mentioned that he has found them to volcano/spew rounds on occasions. Hopefully Jason will chime in with more details.
    tab for reply
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    My thoughts on Pmags is this;

1. They don't last any longer than standard colt GI mags.
    2. They aren't any more reliable than standard colt GI mags.
    3. They break quicker particularly at the feed lips, quicker than standard colt GI mags.
    4. They are slower to load and eject than standard colt GI mags.
    5. They get hung up in the mag well far more frequently than standard colt GI mags.
    6. The feed lips splay open faster than standard colt GI mags (loose rounds during kinetic strike test).
    7. Slower to draw from nylon pouches than standard colt GI mags
    8. Can lock when double stacked in standard nylon 60 round M4 pouches.
    9. Most tactical nylon manufactures build their ammo pouches to the specs of a standard colt GI mag. When Pmags are double stacked, they are super tight and can be problematic to get out.

One of the biggest problems associated with magazines is that end users over-use their mags. I've seen magazines that looked like they were issued to troops in Vietnam! Teflon all worn off, original black followers, rounds falling out all over the place, bulged and hanging up in magwells! GET RIG OF OLD MAGS! They are a disposable expense item.

Never mix training mags with operational mags. Once the training mags fail a couple of times, get rid of them and get new ones. Test fire you operational mags for serviceability periodically.

Clean your mags! You know that the base plate can come off! There is a spring inside also that needs some attention from time to time.

Do you live anywhere near the Ocean! Sea water, salt air etc, if it's rusting your disk breaks, it's probably rusting your equipment! All metal needs a light oil when exposed to saltwater/air.

Don't jam a mag and leave it jammed forever! Down load them and release the springs, then load them back up. Especially if they are operational for patrol rifles or tactical use.

If you want to get all 'Gucci' with your mags, get an anti tilt follower. That's about it! I have been to war several times with standard colt GI mags, I have taught countless amounts of classes with standard GI mags with out failure. Because I look after my kit.

I have been testing a new batch of HK steel mags lately and they have been performing perfectly. No stoppages, no failures to lock, nothing! If they continue to rock on, they will become my favorite 'again'! The steel construction adds to the durability for me, adding service life. An added bonus with the anti-tilt follower. The 'stop' that was put out on them relates to them splitting when dropped onto hard surfaces! Okay, so getting back to my point on training mags. If you are continually dropping mags onto hard surfaces during training, your mags are going to break! Changing them out sorts this problem. If you are dropping your mags onto hard surfaces during contact, who cares what happens to them! They're empty anyway! And if you are training to drop full/partial mags on the deck during stoppages or otherwise, I strongly disagree with this teaching. Patrol Officers generally carry 1 mag on the gun and possibly 2 more in their kit, first line. Dropping one mag results in a loss of up to 33% or more of your front line ammo. Even SO teams are carrying reduced loads and rely heavily on the reliability of the weapon to increase mission success. Train with a dump pouch and get used to placing mags into it when the tactical situation allows. Our philosophy at RB1 is, all empty mags belong on the ground unless you have time and opportunity to retrieve them. Never drop a loaded mag on the ground on purpose!

By the way, my guns don't break either! I clean and oil them too, even my piston driven ones!

Bottom line, don't believe the hype!
    If you look after your mags they will look after you.

Feedback Score
    Video/Stills is now up.. sorry for the delay guys..

http://youtu.be/S4eufqLt5sw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast