Thread: RA XCR 6.5 Grendel

Feedback Score

RA XCR 6.5 Grendel

Ok, heard some good things on the XCR. Thinking of buying one in 6.5 Grendel any of you can give me any feedback good or bad?

I did notice RA call theirs a 6.5 X 39 or just 6.5. Is it truley a 6.5 Grendel chamber?

What kinda accuracy could I expect?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556 View Post
    Ok, heard some good things on the XCR. Thinking of buying one in 6.5 Grendel any of you can give me any feedback good or bad?

I did notice RA call theirs a 6.5 X 39 or just 6.5. Is it truley a 6.5 Grendel chamber?

What kinda accuracy could I expect?

Grendel is the trademark of Alexander Arms, so dont ever expect to see that term published anywhere by Robinson

Alex Robinson post on www.xcrforum.com on a regular basis and here is what he has said about it:

Early next week we are making a short run of 6.5x39mm barrels (We cannot call it what you call it) for testing and evaluation. If all goes well, we will put them into production.

We are also making a .300 Whisper for a customer.

I'm really excited about the 6.5. I hope it works well. It should. We finished turning the initial 6.8s and we hope to turn some 6.5's this week. We must also call the .300 the .300-221. We cannot use the other name for that cartridge either.

The 6.5 has trouble exiting the AR15 receivers. This is why the ejection port must be increased. Because our ejection is more positive, we shouldn't have to increase the ejection port size.

I'm pretty jazzed about doing the 6.5. It will be my hunting rifle.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
    Manager
    Sorry it took so long to post. We've been busy.

We built three rifles as follows: one with a 16" barrel with 1/8 twist; one with a 16" barrel with 1/9 twist; and one with an 18.6 barrel with 1/9 twist. We shot all three back to back with Wolf, AA Ammo, and some handloads.

The Wolf was interesting ammo, it has a very large lead tip which was easily damaged during loading. I.e., when I removed a loaded round from the chamber, I could see the tip was damaged. Nevertheless, we shot 5 shot groups with 4 shots under 1" and then one flyer. The AA and handloads were more consistent (no flyers). My friend who has two AA rifles in 6.5 and who shot we me said that the XCR shot as well as the AA rifles but had lighter recoil.

So, there you have it. We need input on what barrel lengths you guys want. We're ready to go into production. We're going to make 7.62x39mm bolts for these rifles this month. We'll make additional 7.62x39mm bolts for the 7.62x39mm rifles which will be available in December.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
    Manager
    Guys:

We cannot use the trademarks of others. To our knowledge and after a trademark search, BPC is not trademarked, but we don't know what it means, so we're going to use 6.5x39mm or 6.5 RA.

Many have asked what chamber we're using. We are going to call it a 6.5 RA. All we can say is that it will shoot the commercially available 6.5 ammo which is on the market. It has shot well in our tests.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robison
    Manager
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Any XCR weapon system is a good system, and you can change the caliber to boot!
    "Life's not a rehearsal"

Feedback Score
    Anyone here run 5K plus though their XCR yet?

I guess what I was wondering is if the chambering was truely a 6.5 grendel chamber, ie. accuracy wise, how do they shoot compaired to a M4 grendel 16 inch. and the 19.5 inch. of which I own both.

I guess I just have to drop the bucks to find out............ I will order one monday unless I talk myself out of it this weekend.

Feedback Score
    I've easily ran 5K .223 through mine and no problems with the gun. I am a huge fan and supporter of the weapon.

Hopefully I will figure out which conversion I want and get one around tax time.