Thread: FNG question: Multicam vs. temperate MARPAT?

Feedback Score

Question FNG question: Multicam vs. temperate MARPAT?

Has anybody done any tests to see which is the better pattern in North American woodlands and wetlands? I see a lot of pics on the web with Multicam in desert an arid regions, or in really dry, brown woodlands; and a few comparisons of Crye apparrel with A.C.U.s in areas where I'll probably never be unless the plane I'm on crashes there; but I can't seem to find anything about temperate MARPAT and Multicam in places like Florida, West Virginia, New England, PacNW, and Alaska.

Yes, I'm a civilian.
    No, I'm not asking so I can be the coolest airsofter in my neighbourhood.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Short answer- Multicam.

Long answer- Multicam will blend with more environments than the Marpat will, and will definately do so over more seasons.

Marpat has too much black in it, though it is less than was in the old BDUs. Marpat performs superiorly in dense jungle.

Honestly though, movement will attract attention well before camouflage pattern will. Most people that are compromised (other than the movers) violate one of the key concerns of camouflage, most frequently silhouetting themselves.

This is, of course, assuming that you are hiding from people. Many animals perceive colors/patterns differently than humans do.

By the way, I AM the coolest airsofter in my neighborhood.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

By the way, I AM the coolest airsofter in my neighborhood.

I am surprised that they trust you to have airsoft where your at. Don't they know that you could hurt someones eye with that. Quick suggest legislation to stop it!!
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

Marpat performs superiorly in dense jungle.

Regarding dense jungle, and only dense jungle: Since MARPAT is better than Multicam, is there anything that trumps MARPAT? British DPM? AUSCAM?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In really dense jungle, the best camoflage is the really dense jungle.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    In really dense jungle, the best camoflage is the really dense jungle.
    That was kinda my point. The "busyness" of the jungle hides a lot of camouflage pattern discrepancies.

A high green percentage in the pattern is the best thing, and black really won't hurt as much as it does in higher-light areas. The old tiger-stripe was very effective in the Vietnamese jungles, though it sucks for most other applications.

MARPAT may have a slight edge in dense jungle over Multicam, but not in all areas of the jungle, and especially not in multiple areas. The best (most hidey) camouflage is one that the individual customizes for one specific area. Ghillie suits are not effecive on their own other than to break-up the users silhouette. Ghillie suits are most effective (highly) when vege'd up.

One can customize any pattern to be more applicable to the specific environment by dying, bleaching, or painting. Multicam does not require this to be effective in multiple environments.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com