Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 conversion vs dedicated 22 upper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

22 conversion vs dedicated 22 upper

Hello. I am an occasional handgun shooter (roughly 20 range trips in the last 2 decades) who has recently become more tuned in about the value of my 2nd amendment rights. I purchased a basic home defense shotgun about 6 months ago, and recently a S&W M&P 15. (We have many fewer choices of AR-15 model weapons here in California).

I am joining our local rod and gun club, and plan to learn to shoot my new rifle, along with my 14 and 16 year old sons. I can't afford for us to learn all the rifle basics shooting .556, so I plan to use a lot of .22 ammo (and for fun we will finish off each trip with one magazine of .556).

Our club has 25, 50 and 100 meter rifle ranges.

My question is about the pro's and con's of buying a drop in .22 conversion kit for about $200 versus buying a dedicated .22 upper for about $400. I'd rather spend $200 and put the leftover money towards better optics and magazines, but I don't know what I am giving up (if anything) in bypassing the dedicated upper.

Thanks!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    After owning all of the options I will make this easy on you. Buy a S&W M&P 15-22. BEST of all the options and works.

Feedback Score
    +1 on the S&W 15-22. It's the closest thing to an AR-15 in terms of form and function.

Feedback Score
    I agree with the SW 15-22, I have one and it has quickly become one of my favorite guns to shoot. Even when using the not recommended ammo it still eats them up. I have also run it in several courses with no issues and saving $$$$

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks fellas

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I bought a 15-22 for our officers to use for cheap training. It works well. The weight and feel is quite different. I'm looking forward to buying a CMMG .22 upper to use on an SBR. The weight/feel should be closer. The recoil will obviously not be.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would definitely recommend a dedicated, purpose built 22LR. While youre average AR has a twist rate of 1/7-1/9 a .22LR is something like 1/16. I havent owned a conversion, but have had a custom dedicated upper for years. Id always heard the conversions were minute of beer can at best.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Definitely if this is being used to emulate the real thing go with the M&P 15/22. I wouldn't even consider the Colt or Mossberg version.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have an old A1 upper and I am thinking it would be a perfect host for a CMMG drop in conversion unit. What was the original twist rate 1/12?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast