Thread: 22 conversion vs dedicated 22 upper

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

22 conversion vs dedicated 22 upper

Hello. I am an occasional handgun shooter (roughly 20 range trips in the last 2 decades) who has recently become more tuned in about the value of my 2nd amendment rights. I purchased a basic home defense shotgun about 6 months ago, and recently a S&W M&P 15. (We have many fewer choices of AR-15 model weapons here in California).

I am joining our local rod and gun club, and plan to learn to shoot my new rifle, along with my 14 and 16 year old sons. I can't afford for us to learn all the rifle basics shooting .556, so I plan to use a lot of .22 ammo (and for fun we will finish off each trip with one magazine of .556).

Our club has 25, 50 and 100 meter rifle ranges.

My question is about the pro's and con's of buying a drop in .22 conversion kit for about $200 versus buying a dedicated .22 upper for about $400. I'd rather spend $200 and put the leftover money towards better optics and magazines, but I don't know what I am giving up (if anything) in bypassing the dedicated upper.

Thanks!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    After owning all of the options I will make this easy on you. Buy a S&W M&P 15-22. BEST of all the options and works.

Feedback Score
    +1 on the S&W 15-22. It's the closest thing to an AR-15 in terms of form and function.

Feedback Score
    I agree with the SW 15-22, I have one and it has quickly become one of my favorite guns to shoot. Even when using the not recommended ammo it still eats them up. I have also run it in several courses with no issues and saving $$$$

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks fellas