Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 conversion vs dedicated 22 upper

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have been torn between the two for awhile.
    I was going to get one of the cheapo 1:9 DSA uppers and a CMMG kit, but DSA is way back ordered.

I wish CMMG offered their upper with a shorter barrel and fixed front sight.

Feedback Score
    +1 for CMMG, specifically their dedicated rimfire uppers.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    I was going to get one of the cheapo 1:9 DSA uppers and a CMMG kit, but DSA is way back ordered.

I noticed brownells had cmmg .22 bbls for less than $100. If you have an upper kicking around it might. E a good option. I have a 16" cmmg M4 upper on the way we could meet up and shoot it! I might have it cut. Out for now it is perfect for a spare LMT lower I have.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post

I noticed brownells had cmmg .22 bbls for less than $100. If you have an upper kicking around it might be a good option. I have a 16" cmmg M4 upper on the way we could meet up and shoot it! I might have it cut. But for now it is perfect for a spare LMT lower I have.

Id like to find an A1 upper to use for a .22 build. Nodak had some but they're gone.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I went through the same decision not long ago for a teaching tool for my 13 year old nephew. I went with the S&W 15-22, and I am glad I did. The 15-22 has run great.

One thing that I did not think about before, but is just as valuable as the actual shooting in my eyes, was him really taking ownership of the 15-22. He carries it, he cleans it, he is responsible for it from the time I take it out of the safe until it is safely returned at the end of the day.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As an owner of a TacSol upper I think the 15-22 is the better option. The TacSol upper runs like a top but has some tinker time associated with it, the 15-22 just works for everything that you would need it to do.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    After decades of screwing around with M261 conversions I built a dedicated .22LR AR a few years back. Best thing I ever did.

Mine has been in two configurations now - first as a carbine and now as a midlength. I built it on a caliber marked lower with Ballistic Advantage barrels (both times) and a dedicated Spike's bolt. I later added a CMMG last round bolt hold open device.

Each configuration was intended to more or less duplicate my main 5.56 AR at the time, when I moved from a carbine to a midlength the rimfire was rebuilt. The biggest difference is that the .22 has an Aimpoint clone, I couldn't see spending the money for another ML-3 for the .22, the mount hurt enough.

I'd do it all over again. I don't have the budget to shoot as much 5.56 as I used to, so it provides me with a lot of trigger time for cheap. I highly recommend dedicated rimfire ARs as a training tool.

Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'd heard a lot about reliability issues with any conversions so I got the 15-22 as well. Awesome weapon. And it is lighter, but that's not necessarily bad. Especially if you're using it to teach kids or females... Other than that, the ergonomics are the same.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I bought a 15-22 for our officers to use for cheap training. It works well. The weight and feel is quite different. I'm looking forward to buying a CMMG .22 upper to use on an SBR. The weight/feel should be closer. The recoil will obviously not be.
    That's why I converted an LMT MRP to 22 LR. Not cheap but except for the bolt stop not working it handles just like an AR because it is an AR.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    For me, the weight wasn't as much of a concern as all of the parts functioning. Otherwise I would have gone with the Colt/Umarex .22. But, to each his own.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast