Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 22 conversion vs dedicated 22 upper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a follow-up for those interested, I am posting a short debrief.

First of all, thank you to all who provided input and advice.

I ended up going with a conversion, for the following reasons:
    - Cost
    - Wanted exact same weight and operation/feel. I am teaching myself, two kids and perhaps my wife how to use this and wanted to simplify the training aspect. Heck, I had never even cleaned or stripped an AR-15 before.
    - I do not own any optics, so there were no "old" or "passdown" optics to use on a dedicated 22. No passdown BUIS either!
    - Target shooting/accuracy is not an issue for my family. We are wanting to shoot a lot of rounds and learn basic rifle handling and familiarity.

After checking to see what other conversion kits were available, and reading the reviews I could find, I went with a Target Master .22 conversion kit. It was about $75-$100 cheaper than CMMG.

We have put a little over 1,200 rounds through it, with only one (maybe two) jams. I am very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again to everyone!

Feedback Score
    Not to rain on your parade, but how can you have the same feel/operation without the ability to lock the bolt back or a last shot BHO?

It was for these reasons I chose the M&P 15 22, now if I could get a BAD lever I'd be styling...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    The 15-22 is great for what it is but it feels like a toy in my hands. I like the weight/feel of the CMMG upper I have. The bolt hold open is worth it for me. Neither has the same length of pull on the charging handle either. I almost Rip the thing off when I pull on it.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone got an umbrella?

When I bought it I didn't realize it would actually operate differently, even if only slightly. I haven't put many .556 rounds through it, less than 100 or so, and wasn't familiar with how the AR is supposed to operate at all. Sooo..., I did eventually notice that the bolt holdback is different.

Nevertheless, buying a $125 Target Master makes it that much easier for me to get a quality optic. Jumping in to this world with only a Glock 19 and four people to teach (including myself) is a high learning curve, and high dollars.
    Husband, Father, Veteran, Citizen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Disregard, misread a post...
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 05-29-12 at 08:12.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    Understood. The kits can work well, I sold my Ciener kit and mags for about half wat the 15-22 cost. Good luck! Jeff

Feedback Score
    Really enjoying my M&P 15-22. Bit pricey, sadly you could get a full Spike's AR for a little more.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rezin View Post
    Really enjoying my M&P 15-22. Bit pricey, sadly you could get a full Spike's AR for a little more.
    I only paid $400 for my sw mp15- .22, they must have went up.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Yeah my sons 15-22 was expensive but it was a tricked out one. The second I bought was $400.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 04-25-17 at 21:14.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I still vote for the M&P 15-22 (for anyone else researching this topic). It's an awesome gun. Plus you get 2 AR's out of it so you and your son can both shoot at the range without swapping uppers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123