Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ident SBR engraving (pics)

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yes, I'm aware. Perhaps I'm wrong, but since an AR15 lower receiver can be made into a pistol or rifle, it qualifies as a pistol. In this state anyway, one needs a handgun permit to purchase an AR15 or similar.
    The way I understand it, if a firearm is being shipped out for repair or customization (engraving), and no transfer of ownership is taking place, you do not need to go through an FFL as long as the firearm is being returned to the owner.

I am doing a SBR now and have found out two important things in talking with ATF. Read....the resident "expert" in Martinsburg who now supervises all the examiners.

He says that the receiver or the barrel must be engraved. I know there are some people that have gotten away without having it done at all. It will not happen on this "experts" watch.

He also stated that names may not be abbreviated even though it states in the NFA Title 26, Chapter 53, Section 479.102,a,(2),(iii) that a "recognized abbreviation" would be acceptable. It is not acceptable to him.
    My bud just got his form 1 returned to him for this very reason. And, IMO, and in the opinion of this "expert", is the reason you should wait until you have a approved form 1 prior to engraving.

I've come to the conclusion that these folks will do as they damn well please when it comes to the fine print/gray area issues.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well back to Ident, those guys are awesome! I live. Lose to their shop and scheduled a time to drop off my lower, I had an engraving and an etching done. In and out inside of a week. The guys are super cool, know what they are doing and will do everything they can to make sure you get what you want. Those guys were pulling some crazy OT too, they really bust their asses up there to get stuff done.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    The way I understand it, if a firearm is being shipped out for repair or customization (engraving), and no transfer of ownership is taking place, you do not need to go through an FFL as long as the firearm is being returned to the owner.
    I assume that's true since in all of the cases I've sent receivers off to be engraved (3 times), Ident or Orion have returned the receivers to me directly via UPS. However, to get them there, I had to have my FFL send them via USPS as there is no UPS shipping hub near me.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Well that might explain my increased charge from UPS! I opened an account to send two lowers out. I was charged another $20. I dropped my lowers in a drop box on the way out of town with the wife and kids.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Well that might explain my increased charge from UPS! I opened an account to send two lowers out. I was charged another $20. I dropped my lowers in a drop box on the way out of town with the wife and kids.
    I sent a Sig 228 to US Anodizing a month ago via UPS and it cost me nearly $75. Im contemplating getting a FFL to do out-of-state transfers just so I can ship my own stuff via USPS.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    I sent a Sig 228 to US Anodizing a month ago via UPS and it cost me nearly $75. Im contemplating getting a FFL to do out-of-state transfers just so I can ship my own stuff via USPS.
    Yeah I insured the lowers to $500 but did not describe the contents. A few days after delivery I had a new charge on my account! I've always wanted an FFL too. Might be a decent side business.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    UPS policy is that firearms have to go by 2nd Day Air, and must specify "Adult Signature Required", and it can't go through UPS Store or drop-box. UPSP is cheaper, but I still suspect that shipping an AR receiver (pistol) has to go from FFL to FFL.

Additionally, Federal Law requires that a non-FFL shipping by contract carrier (like UPS or FedEx) must notify the carrier that the package contains a firearm (27 CFR 478.31). According to UPS, they are X-raying packages more and more frequently. Sounds like a potential trouble spot, if true, and if they happen to X-ray your package.

Yeah I insured the lowers to $500 but did not describe the contents. A few days after delivery I had a new charge on my account! I've always wanted an FFL too. Might be a decent side business.
    I suppose one could hypothesize that they X-rayed the package, decided it was a firearm and upcharged you because it then had to go 2nd Day Air, ASR. Maybe you were lucky they didn't notify the Feds. Or maybe it doesn't matter. I didn't dig into the stuff far enough to get an idea of what the consequences might be of not notifying them.

I note that the same Federal law that requires that you notify the shipper that its a firearm also requires that the shipper can't label the package as containing a firearm.

/
    Last edited by Hmac; 03-14-12 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Hmac

Thank you. I will not make the same mistake again.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have seen certain stripped lowers for sale and seen 21 or older as a requirement. It may be because the maker did not specify the frame was a long gun. Not sure. I know I have seen S&W lowers sold with that restriction before. I also know their lowers have no cal markings. Anyone know for sure?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have seen certain stripped lowers for sale and seen 21 or older as a requirement. It may be because the maker did not specify the frame was a long gun. Not sure. I know I have seen S&W lowers sold with that restriction before. I also know their lowers have no cal markings. Anyone know for sure?
    It's an excellent question. I've seen it posed before relative to Ruger 10-22 receivers. Those same receivers can be found in 10-22 rifles or in Ruger Charger pistols. I recently bought a couple of old stripped 10-22 receivers from my LGS. I didn't dig into the details, but he did tell me I had to show him my state handgun permit for the NICS check. I'll have to ask him about that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast