Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ident SBR engraving (pics)

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    If it is a stripped receiver, rifle or shotgun, by the letter of the law it is supposed to be considered a handgun because it is capable of having a pistol grip installed.

These "tactical" shotguns that you see, with only a pistol grip and no stock, can only be sold as handguns.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    You can ship a non pistol USPS without going through an FFL. Pistols require a FFL to ship.
    Depends on your state and to whom it is getting shipped to. I have shipped pistols back to the manufacturer for repairs without issues. They just had to be sent overnight.

Rifles do not have to be shipped overnight.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    If it is a stripped receiver, rifle or shotgun, by the letter of the law it is supposed to be considered a handgun because it is capable of having a pistol grip installed.

These "tactical" shotguns that you see, with only a pistol grip and no stock, can only be sold as handguns.
    This doesn't sound right.

Stripped receivers are identified as pistols in the 4473 and any applicable State form when you first purchase them from a dealer. Pistol grip shotguns are identified as long guns (bbls 18" or longer) as long as they meet or exceed the minimum OAL of 26".

Once a receiver is built into a rifle, it is supposed to be treated as such. Which means an AR-15 receiver that was originally purchased as a pistol but built into a rifle is now legally a rifle and cannot be treated as or converted into a pistol.

In other words, you cannot take that receiver and remove its stock and marry it up with an upper that has a barrel that is less than 16" unless it is registered as an SBR.

Of course, I haven't fully recovered from my Annual Training experience so I may very well be mistaken about this whole thing. Can anyone verify that I do not have my facts backwards?
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    This doesn't sound right.

Stripped receivers are identified as pistols in the 4473 and any applicable State form when you first purchase them from a dealer. Pistol grip shotguns are identified as long guns (bbls 18" or longer) as long as they meet or exceed the minimum OAL of 26".
    According to the ATF Compliance Officer that conducted my FFL interview a couple of weeks ago, shotguns with a pistol grip only, not shotguns with a normal long stock and a pistol grip, are to be treated as handguns. No matter the barrel length. When you start talking barrel length and overall length you are now in the realm of the NFA.

He asked this as a trick question during the interview.
    Last edited by Scoby; 03-16-12 at 08:08.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    According to the ATF Compliance Officer that conducted my FFL interview a couple of weeks ago, shotguns with a pistol grip only, not shotguns with a normal long stock and a pistol grip, are to be treated as handguns. No matter the barrel length. When you start talking barrel length and overall length you are now in the realm of the NFA.

He asked this as a trick question during the interview.
    These guys have a differing opinion.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Slightly off topic, but is there any refinishing necessary after engraving the lower?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by doddste4 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but is there any refinishing necessary after engraving the lower?
    Ident and Orion both blacken the engraved lettering. I haven't seen Orion's work, but on everything Ident has engraved for me, it comes back perfect just as in the photos above.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the answer.
    Last edited by doddste4; 03-17-12 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCK View Post
    These guys have a differing opinion.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88
    That does make sense. You can do the same with a short barrel AR with a pistol receiver extension.

Still has to be sold as a handgun.
    Scoby

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234