Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My....friend's new .338 Lapua

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

My....friend's new .338 Lapua

Savage 110 BA

He put money down on a Sako but didn't want to wait, the shop had this in stock and picked it up today.

He bought a box of 20 rounds, 250gr Hornady ($107)

He has absolutely zero reloading capabilities/experience, he has never shot anything more powerful than a .308 (and even then he can hit anything) and he's going to mount a BSA Contender riflescope on it with BSA 1" Weaver rings. The scope in the pic is not included. He thinks he will easily achieve hits out to 1,500 yards.

Now, In order to keep this thread alive, instead of beating him up and telling each other what a fool he is; what is some advice you guys can offer to ensure that he didn't just throw money down the toilet and actually learns and becomes proficient?

...or is it impossible?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 11-22-11 at 15:38.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    From the way you have described your friend I would say it's not possible to help him.

Feedback Score
    Barely

See

Anything

I mean really, what kinda jackass, is going to spend that kind a money on a new rifle, and then his scope cost less than a box of the ****ing ammo.

I'm sure everyone at the Elm Fork will still think it's the coolest thing they ever have seen when he tells them it's the epic .338 lapua.

EDIT

Is that from Rays Hardware? If so, I'm pretty sure he just paid the highest price anyone could charge for a rifle. I bet he got a nice long talk of gunstore BS while he was at it. I mean really they have to be the highest charging gunstore in the US.
    Last edited by dieselgeek; 11-22-11 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I picked up a subscription to SH's online training and downloaded a ballistic app for my iPhone. Keep in mind I have absolutely no baseline for comparison, but the online training lessons I've seen so far seem to be good. Next week I think I'll be picking up a Savage Mark 2 .22LR as a trainer while I learn how to read and deal with wind. Edit: Also, online training videos seem to be right down his alley of throwing money at a problem

Honestly I don't see any practical way to learn precision shooting with a .338 Lapua. Maybe get him on the 100 or 200 meter range and start knocking the fundamentals out one at a time.

After looking at that scope, I don't see how he's going to learn anything at all. I doubt it holds a zero, and you can't get very far without that foundation.
    Last edited by Alric; 11-22-11 at 16:00.
    Unprepared: Not prepared; caught by surprise; dead

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
    I picked up a subscription to SH's online training and downloaded a ballistic app for my iPhone. Keep in mind I have absolutely no baseline for comparison, but the online training lessons I've seen so far seem to be good. Next week I think I'll be picking up a Savage Mark 2 .22LR as a trainer while I learn how to read and deal with wind. Edit: Also, online training videos seem to be right down his alley of throwing money at a problem

Honestly I don't see any practical way to learn precision shooting with a .338 Lapua. Maybe get him on the 100 or 200 meter range and start knocking the fundamentals out one at a time.

After looking at that scope, I don't see how he's going to learn anything at all. I doubt it holds a zero, and you can't get very far without that foundation.

I think they are. Jacob really knows his stuff. If you ever get the chance go down and train w/ him at Rifles Only.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not sure anything can be done for your friend. His Florida Guido Syndrome is too far advanced.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tell him to get a sandbag and more ammo because he's going to need it.

Feedback Score
    That's not a 338LM...

THIS is a 338LM

Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    That's not a 338LM...

THIS is a 338LM

You're preaching to the choir orkan

Your baby doesn't mind the noise?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    I'm not sure anything can be done for your friend. His Florida Guido Syndrome is too far advanced.
    My assessment as well.

If he can be convinced to spend the money for real optics and mounting hardware, you may have a chance. That being said, 1500 yard shots are not something you can accomplish with equipment alone.

I have a friend similar to this, he has $10,000 worth of kick ass hardware and brings them over to my place so I can "help" him clean them.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 11-22-11 at 16:51.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast