Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Count Down to SHTF, Are you Prepared?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    My answer is, HELL NO. i am in the middle of a move and living in a hotel. In about 3 months I will be completely set, back in TX near my land. Until then I am screwed with what gear and supplies I have in my truck.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I will not be bugging out. My entire family, farm, and anything I care about is within 3 miles of my house. I would rather bug in and die at home then leave everything.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    I will not be bugging out. My entire family, farm, and anything I care about is within 3 miles of my house. I would rather bug in and die at home then leave everything.
    Unless you live walking distance from a big city, you are better off bugging in anyway.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Countdown to SHTF

Quote: like Gerald Celente, has been predicting all of this for a long time.
    Did you hear on coastotcoast am that Celente got raped for all the money he had in the fund headed by Corzine? The bankruptcy people took all he had and hit him with a margin call. Ouch

When, not if things collapse, we will all be taken by surprise. I will be at work 40 miles from my home without any weapons( the Feds frown on weapons where I work) and minimum food and water, I will drive as best I can, but walking is not a option.
    I can bug in place where I live now, it would be better if it waited until I retire and move to a smaller town.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    Unless you live walking distance from a big city, you are better off bugging in anyway.
    does a city of 150,000 count? cause thats 20 miles away... and a city of 10,000 is 6 miles away.

Like I said, my entire immediate family lives within 3 miles of me(been here on the same ground since 1834). I'm not leaving.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

In about 3 months I will be completely set, back in TX near my land.

Welcome back! Stop by for a tasty beverage and some BBQ!

And to answer the OP, my economic preps are almost complete. I've almost got any interest-bearing debt paid off. The food, water, medical, and other stuff is coming along.

Give me 12 more months, and I will be in very good shape. Fingers crossed.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Welcome back! Stop by for a tasty beverage and some BBQ!

And to answer the OP, my economic preps are almost complete. I've almost got any interest-bearing debt paid off. The food, water, medical, and other stuff is coming along.

Give me 12 more months, and I will be in very good shape. Fingers crossed.
    While paying off/down debt is always a good idea, does debt really matter in a situation that's bad enough that you figure society has collapsed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post
    Did you hear on coastotcoast am that Celente got raped for all the money he had in the fund headed by Corzine? The bankruptcy people took all he had and hit him with a margin call. Ouch
    Yea I read about it. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    While paying off/down debt is always a good idea, does debt really matter in a situation that's bad enough that you figure society has collapsed?
    Here's how I look at it. You're correct in your thinking if it's TEOTWAWKI. However, none of us have a crystal ball to know what the end game and how severe the collapse will ultimately be. Personally I think it's going to be disastrous, but none of us know for certain.

Yes, credit card debt is technically unsecured debt. And an argument can be made to not pay off that debt and buy supplies instead with the money. However, if it is not TEOTWAWKI and just a deep depression, and you lose your job, or for whatever reason you default on your credit cards, those credit card penalties and interest rack up real fast.

A $10,000 default can turn into a $100,000 obligation in no time. At some point you'll have to file bankruptcy to get rid of that monkey. In Florida where I am, your home can not be touched in a bankruptcy, however in some states it can. You can be forced to liquidate to satisfy credit card obligations. So defaulting on unsecured debt can still come back to bite you.

However, with 60% of homes being underwater today, there's nothing to liquidate. If you're not underwater it's more of a concern and depends on your states individual bankruptcy laws regarding your home. If you owe more on your mortgage than your house is worth like I am, and you don't see that situation changing in the next 10 years, (which it will probably be for most) I'd say don't worry about paying off the credit card or other unsecured debts. Just make monthly payments for now. Buy supplies & get prepared. Work on paying it off once you're comfortable with your preparedness level, within reason. Or save the money (or buy gold or other commodities that you can sell easily should things simmer down) you would use to pay off or down the debt, as long as you're able to meet the monthly payments, and in a few years time when we see what the shake out was you'll be in a position to apply it toward the debt. If things get worse you say screw the debt & use the money you saved accordingly to survive.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 11-25-11 at 08:08.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Interesting topic...always pretty interesting to see other like-minded people's POV...

I think that IF we make it past the 2012 elections, then we will hold up for however long the economy can stand being propped up (through bailouts, printing money, QE, ect.)...your guess is as good as mine here...

I have my own thoughts on what "could" happen just before the elections that would send the country down the road that we are talking about here.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post

When, not if things collapse, we will all be taken by surprise. I will be at work 40 miles from my home without any weapons( the Feds frown on weapons where I work) and minimum food and water, I will drive as best I can, but walking is not a option.
    I can bug in place where I live now, it would be better if it waited until I retire and move to a smaller town.
    Yes, Blatant imo. Here it is for those whom have not.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/user/LanceHar.../9/J5OxXGjJBnM

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/LanceHar.../8/5DLtHLSWMX0

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/user/LanceHar.../7/Sf9HIo8NJBg

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast