Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Count Down to SHTF, Are you Prepared?

Feedback Score
    Not even close!!! I have spent a lot of time reading (trying to be as efficient as possible) first hand accounts of those who have survived a SHTF scenario and I have noticed a common theme...learn a skill! The reason being is that for one reason or another (ie. theives, tornados, floods, etc.) our preps WILL disappear. And because I feel like I am getting such a late start I am also concentrating on adding tangible skills to my "preps" that I can barter with. As far as the OP's first question, I do not see our way of life (as we know it) being sustained any longer than about 18 months.
    **I am a descendent of men who refused to be ruled**
    **I do not fear the valley for I am the shadow**

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    deleted.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 01-10-13 at 02:23. Reason: deleted.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I agree with most here that it is impossible to predict what & when, just as it is impossible to be 100% prepared. However, bad days are on the way, that's a 99% probability IMO.
    Last edited by SIMBA-LEE; 02-12-12 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The time table is a difficult prediction due to so many contributing factors like the economy, the EU, Middle East, the Russians & Chinese and of course what happens in the 2012 elections. Regardless of when it is I don't think anyone is truly prepared in every sense of the word and if they are more power to them as they must have an enormous amount of disposable income.

My immediate family would be OK for several months but definitely not long term on what we currently have stored due to storage limitations. I have several like minded friends on M4C who have similar mindsets and preps but any of my other friends or family haven't a clue and are the furthest thing away from any type of preparations, for any emergency, including just getting a splinter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    If you had to guess on a time table to finish your prep's based on current local/world, conditions/events what would be your best educated prediction?
    Based on what?

If the SHTF to night would you consider your self ready?
    Again, based on what?

If the "SHTF" scenario you are envisioning resides in the realm of reality, I'd be pretty well set. I have simple plans that encompass either the need to "bug-out" or "bug-in" and the materiel required to carry out those plans. Now, if you're talking alien invasion/coronal mass ejection/civil war/zombie apocalypse, then no, I'm not "prepared" and I couldn't establish a timeline on when, if ever, I would be.

Could I potentially survive long-term? I'd say my odds are good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I'll never be prepared until I have some land with a secondary cache of supplies.
    One project I really need to tackle is buying a vacuum sealer and sealing up rice, wheet, etc.
    Try looking online at Cosco's. They have a lot of that stuff already sealed in long term storage containers. My wife and I have tried to do it ourselves but with all the pia it is we are going to start going that route.

Dan

Feedback Score
    One project I really need to tackle is buying a vacuum sealer and sealing up rice, wheet, etc.
    Dave,

You can also just use a couple oxygen absorbers and an iron.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZkiU1fUtsE

Oxygen absorbers: http://www.google.com/search?q=oxyge...rlz=1I7GGLL_en

Mylar bags: http://www.google.com/search?q=mylar...rlz=1I7GGLL_en
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 11-26-11 at 04:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    deleted.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 01-10-13 at 02:24. Reason: deleted.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I'll look into both ideas.
    If you go the oxygen absorber route remember these 2 things:

1). you definitely need 3-4 500cc absorbers for a 5-6 gallon bucket

2). prep several buckets as in the video all at once, sealing the edges first leaving a small opening in the middle to drop 4 oxygen absorbers in each bucket then quickly sealing up the 2" opening in the center of all buckets, because once you open the oxygen absorber package they all come in, you have to use them all up in 10-15 minutes. That, or find absorbers that come in small package amounts like 2 or 4 to a package that way you use them at will.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 11-26-11 at 06:10.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    May end up being sooner rather than later, at least in Europe. This is from the Telegraph mind you, not a fringe blog/magazine:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ice-warns.html
    Last edited by zacbol; 11-26-11 at 14:38.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast