Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Generic, all AK's, with the exception of the Yugoslavian and the Century Arms Yugo clones, have chrome lined barrels.

That rifle is an Arsenal Inc. SA-M7 Classic. They were limited edtion rifle, built as clones of the Type 3 AK-47, which entered service around 1953.

These are going to run in the $1000.00 range, plus or minus maybe $100.00.

The alternative is the Arsenal Inc. SA-M7 Carbine, which is basically the same rifle that the US bought for the Iraqi National Guard. It differs from the Classic in that it has the lighter barrel of the AKM and a 90* gas block of the AK-74. It's an updated AK that uses a milled receiver. You should be able to find them for a little under $800.00.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/sam7carbinenb.htm

http://www.arsenalinc.com/sam7classic.htm

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    Generic, all AK's, with the exception of the Yugoslavian and the Century Arms Yugo clones, have chrome lined barrels.

That rifle is an Arsenal Inc. SA-M7 Classic. They were limited edtion rifle, built as clones of the Type 3 AK-47, which entered service around 1953.

These are going to run in the $1000.00 range, plus or minus maybe $100.00.

The alternative is the Arsenal Inc. SA-M7 Carbine, which is basically the same rifle that the US bought for the Iraqi National Guard. It differs from the Classic in that it has the lighter barrel of the AKM and a 90* gas block of the AK-74. It's an updated AK that uses a milled receiver. You should be able to find them for a little under $800.00.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/sam7carbinenb.htm

http://www.arsenalinc.com/sam7classic.htm

We bought AK's for the ING? With all of the 1000's adn 1000's of AK's (regardless of the make and pedigree, an AK is an AK after all, and most of the time the ING turn and drop the AK while running.) we seized from Iraq in the last 4 years and buy them AK's. Is our government stupid? Oops, sorry I asked.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    "(regardless of the make and pedigree, an AK is an AK after all"

Don't confuse inexpensive and rugged with poorly made. You can find any number of problems reported with AKs that are made in that region with zero quality control.

M_P

Feedback Score

Professional AK builders

Three places come to mind for quality AKs built in the US. Marc Krebs, K-Var, and Blackheart manufacturing. All start with quality components and then build to the buyers specs. some take longer than others but you should not be an a mad dash for an AK.
    If it is pretty then chances are it will not work.

Feedback Score
    Whats the word on the Century Yugo M70's with underfolder stock. They seem really popular, but hows the quaility?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C'yotecaller View Post
    Whats the word on the Century Yugo M70's with underfolder stock. They seem really popular, but hows the quaility?
    For the most part, they've got a decent rep. Definitely check the mag fit, as some are reported to have a loose mag well, and check to make sure the sights aren't canted.

The Green Mt. barrels that are being used in them are decent barrels, remember though that they aren't chrome lined.

Feedback Score

Lightbulb How about these?

I remember the 1989 chinese flood of cheap AK's that came into the country. I saw them for $100.00 each in the box off the UPS truck. Gosh what a beautiful thing.

They were hard to take apart (lots of pipe wrenching and pliers to move the levers) and the finish was rough yet they worked. What ever became of them? I am sure this is why the first executive ban went into effect. The 'powers' got scared that everyone would be able to afford a chinese AK.

How do the SA-85 Hungarian sporter rifles compare to the US manufacturers? They were really slick and beautiful phosphate finish and birch thumb stock. I read they are different in the receiver and will not accept some other AK parts?

The Yugoslavian receivers are all 1.5mm? That makes them non compatible with anyother regular 1mm stamped receiver parts?

PLease show the dark one with your light oh master.

Feedback Score
    I have to admit, finding this excellent thread has me thinking seriously about buying an AK to go with my new AR.

A couple of questions come to mind:

1) Who carries/distributes Arsenal AK's? The only ones I see listed on the Atlantic Firearms website are the SAM7 - which are sold out anyway. Does anyone else carry them? The Arsenal website seems to list everything as "Coming Soon" and "Limited Production".

2) In general, is the 1.6mm stamped receiver preferred over the 1.0mm? I know it's stiffer -- but I also know stiffer isn't always better. Sometimes the "flex" can be part of the reliability. I guess my question is: Is it worth the extra $50-$60 to get the thicker receiver? (And just from a technical standpoint, does the 1.6mm receiver actually qualify as an RPK receiver...or is that limited to the 1.5mm thickness? Just curious.)

3) I'm already seeing the wide range of prices (and quality) associated with the various models. Everything from <$300 for a Century WASR to >$1200 for an Arsenal milled AK. Yikes! I'm leaning toward something in the $500-$600 range. I've been researching both Vector Arms and Lancaster Arms - any strong opinions, one way or the other, on either of them in terms of quality?

Thanks for the great info!

Jim
    Stag AR-15 2T, Saiga 7.62x39 AK, Saiga S12 Tactical Shotgun
    Beretta 92G Vertec - M9 - PX4 Storm - 92 Billennium - CX4 Storm 9mm
    CZ SP-01 Tactical - M&P 9 - M&P 9C - Ruger KP93 Colt M1911 - RIA 5" 1911- Kel Tec P-32
    http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/index.html

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Navyguy, Doug Stockman is a good dealer who's in your AO, www.ssgknives.com

He'll get in the Arsenal SLR-106FR's and also carries the Vector line of rifles.

Vectors are good to go and have a good rep for reliablity, good clean builds, and customer service. They also have some milled receiver rifles for about $800 or so.

The 1mm thick receiver is standard for every European AKM or AK-74 except the Yugoslavian rifles, which use the 1.6mm (or 1.5mm) RPK receiver. The Amory USA (Global Trades) 1.6mm receivers aren't "authentic", but I haven't heard any serious issues about them either. The Armory USA 1mm standard receiver is a decent one.

In the $500-$600 range I'd definitely look very hard at the Vectors. They have a 5 year warranty and like I said, good clean builds. If you join AKForums and order from Atlantic, tell him that you're a member there and they'll give you a discount.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For me, a new, unissued, Russian Izmesh AKM kit built with a AK74 side folder like the Uzbek guys are seen with a lot. That would be my final AK purchase possibly, it would be everything I want in a AK. I would settle for a Arsenal bulgarian built the same way if they had the time to put such a rifle on the market.

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast