Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just got a Century Yugo underfolder. It is a really clean build and I can't wait to try it out. Do the Yugo parts kits have chrome-lined barrels?

I also have a Hungarian SA-85. Who has the parts that will fit to make it into a no-ban rifle? Since I do not have the time nor the tools, who could do the job?
    Thanks, Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyviking View Post
    I just got a Century Yugo underfolder. It is a really clean build and I can't wait to try it out. Do the Yugo parts kits have chrome-lined barrels?
    Negative. Yugos are not chrome lined.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sky, as Bcm stated, original Yugoslavian rifles and the Century built clones do not have chrome lined barrels, not a serious issue unless you shoot corrosive ammo out of it.

Do you have one of the thumbhole stocked post ban SA-85 imported by KBI?

Some of those have a "short" gas system, if you could start another thread and post pics, we can help you out.

If it still has the thumbhole stock, you can get wood or synthetic military grade stocks to replace it with.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score

Beauty to Behold

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Sky, as Bcm stated, original Yugoslavian rifles and the Century built clones do not have chrome lined barrels, not a serious issue unless you shoot corrosive ammo out of it.

Do you have one of the thumbhole stocked post ban SA-85 imported by KBI?

Some of those have a "short" gas system, if you could start another thread and post pics, we can help you out.

If it still has the thumbhole stock, you can get wood or synthetic military grade stocks to replace it with.
    Yes it has the thumbhole. And I am trying to figure out the left hand fold options to make it beautiful

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=329&page=2

What is with this 'short gas system'? It it a Krinkov something or another?

How is it identified?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackheart1137 View Post
    Three places come to mind for quality AKs built in the US. Marc Krebs, K-Var, and Blackheart manufacturing. All start with quality components and then build to the buyers specs. some take longer than others but you should not be an a mad dash for an AK.
    Agreed! I have a Kreb's rifle - built on the Russian Izhmash reciever - and it's a beauty in every way. It also comes with the side rail for mounting optics - an Aimpoint CompC3 in a modified Russian BP-02 mount shown below. Fit, finish and function are flawless - I would stake my life on this rifle without hesitation!

Just like with ARs, plan to spend more $$ if you want to go with top-shelf. And just like ARs, there is a big difference if you do so!

PS - Templar, thanks for all of the info!

Feedback Score

K-var or what?

I left the k-var url:

for viewing and I even sent the web site a request for an answer for the left side folding stock, that just so happens to be on sale right now.

I am on K-var list for contact of sale items.

I asked for a trunion to install the folding stock onto the SA-85 and had no response as this leaves me to expect that i am not celebrity enough to warrant a response.

so, where does a guy go to get some left hand stocks like the above K-var installed?
    The parts are like a crap shoot. I still have a large box of wood stocks made for very small people with short arms and are useless to a north american.

Really frustrating. Got strong suggestions?

I guess an easy answer may be full of more research and calling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by troy View Post
    I left the k-var url:

for viewing and I even sent the web site a request for an answer for the left side folding stock, that just so happens to be on sale right now.

I am on K-var list for contact of sale items.

I asked for a trunion to install the folding stock onto the SA-85 and had no response as this leaves me to expect that i am not celebrity enough to warrant a response.

so, where does a guy go to get some left hand stocks like the above K-var installed?
    The parts are like a crap shoot. I still have a large box of wood stocks made for very small people with short arms and are useless to a north american.

Really frustrating. Got strong suggestions?

I guess an easy answer may be full of more research and calling.
    You're going to have to send it off to someone specializing in AKs. They must remove the rear trunnion and make a couple cuts to get the latching mechanism and special trunnion in there. I believe they also must remove the front trunnion and put the hook that holds the stock in the folded position. There is a lot of work to add this folder and typically costs a great deal to get it done... It might almost be cheaper to get a cheap Romanian kit, pre-cut NoDak receiver and have someone build it...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In the $500-$600 range would something like this be worthwhile?

Vector Arms AK47 Polymer Fixed Stock US $ 529.95

How would the length of pull on something like this compare to the LOP on an M4 with the stock at the first notch out?

Would there be a better option in this price range for a stamped, 7.62x39 AK? Any compatibility issues to worry about with this model vs. others in terms of changing out sights, stocks, optics, etc?

ET:
    Or, would the Arsenal SLR 108 be worth waiting/splurging for? Would the barrel be threaded under that slant break?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You are GTG with the Vector. The SLR-108 won't be happening any time soon.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    How would the length of pull on something like this compare to the LOP on an M4 with the stock at the first notch out?
    Longer. LOP on the Vector is 12-3/4 inches - even longer with "NATO length" stock on the 108.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast