Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    The main thing to avoid, still, are US made barrels.
    +1. I got banned from a certain other forum for saying this, but it's still true.

Proper twist rate, chrome lining, gas port drilled into a groove... you'd be hard-pressed to get these from anywhere in the US.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CumbiaDude View Post
    +1. I got banned from a certain other forum for saying this, but it's still true.

Proper twist rate, chrome lining, gas port drilled into a groove... you'd be hard-pressed to get these from anywhere in the US.
    Its not just barrels, you want a comblock riveted heatreated reciever also. The USA barrels are a complete joke, even chrome lined they are basically black powder barrels machined to look like AK barrels.

Best bet is to look for/inspect an de-sporsterized import.

Feedback Score
    If you get a reciever from a reputable source they are comparable with the com-block originals. One you should be able to trust 100% for function is Nodak.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by regal View Post
    Its not just barrels, you want a comblock riveted heatreated reciever also.
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 SS View Post
    If you get a reciever from a reputable source they are comparable with the com-block originals. One you should be able to trust 100% for function is Nodak.
    +1 to this. To my knowledge, Nodak has been one of the few cases of an American company doing it just as well as the original factories with fully heat treated receivers.

I know we can do the same for barrels. We just haven't had the will to do so. Perhaps eventually that will change, with the barrel ban. I would love to see a quality US barrel, hammer forged, chrome-lined, proper twist rate. I was just reading about the machinery and process... Ruger has the machines and has opened up to taking contracts from outside sources...

Feedback Score
    Blue-Jack has made some Krink barrels that show promise. Of course with those we will have to wait some time to see how they last durability wise. But he has made them to correct specs and chromed - so at least that much is right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 SS View Post
    Blue-Jack has made some Krink barrels that show promise. Of course with those we will have to wait some time to see how they last durability wise. But he has made them to correct specs and chromed - so at least that much is right.
    Exactly. Huge step in the right direction.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    What about I.O.? I can't find anything on them here. And how common are good deals on Arsenals? There's an SAM7 for $950 right now and I don't want to miss out if that pretty solid.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I.O. (Inter Ordnance) AK's are absolutely craptastical.

Need more info on the M7, as there were/are several variations.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOrrock View Post
    I.O. (Inter Ordnance) AK's are absolutely craptastical.

Need more info on the M7, as there were/are several variations.
    Glad I asked. The Arsenal is no longer listed from what I can see, it was on Gun Broker. I know they retail for just under $2,000 so that's why I was curious. Thanks though. I really want to get one, but not enough to spend that much so I'll just be keeping my eye out.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Arsenal makes a SA-M7-32 which is a SA-M7 classic for California. I think I just found my next rifle. Thanks for all the information in this thread.
    Last edited by Bowser; 01-24-12 at 00:46.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618

Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast