Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here is a recent interview of Jim Fuller on buying an AK . . .

https://www.full30.com/video/f0af39b...7fa5839e43a4be
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 05-04-16 at 03:09.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    What would be important to me in an AK would be a milled receiver, mil spec trigger group, a 4150 chrome lined steel barrel poly furniture and something that shoots 2" max groups at 100 yds. In my collection, firearms accuracy is paramount. At the range I see all these AK guys shooting that can barely hit the paper. Some shoot pie plate size groups.
    Isn't a rifle worthless, if you cannot hit the target?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlagrua View Post
    What would be important to me in an AK would be a milled receiver, mil spec trigger group, a 4150 chrome lined steel barrel poly furniture and something that shoots 2" max groups at 100 yds. In my collection, firearms accuracy is paramount. At the range I see all these AK guys shooting that can barely hit the paper. Some shoot pie plate size groups.
    Isn't a rifle worthless, if you cannot hit the target?
    You don't need a milled receiver to have an accurate rifle.

And not many AK's get used by people with any idea what they're doing. I'd be surprised if the majority of AK's you see at the range are legitimately only capable of shooting pie plates.

Feedback Score
    They are battle rifles. Not meant to shot moa or better.
    2 to 4" is about right.
    Now maybe company like rifle dynamics that makes higher end ak's probably will do better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    #ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tvfreakarms View Post
    They are battle rifles. Not meant to shot moa or better.
    2 to 4" is about right.
    Now maybe company like rifle dynamics that makes higher end ak's probably will do better.

Exactly, need AR size groups over 7.62x39's penetration and stopping power? AK74 is your answer.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    For 'practical accuracy', reliably hitting a man-sized target out to 3-400yd, it's a wash. 3-4 MOA is mil standard for issue rifles few civilian shooters are able to wring even that from their rifles.
    When the AK bug finally bit me, I looked for straightness, weight and price point. It all came together for me with my WASR 10. Nearly 3k rounds later, I am still completely satisfied.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shep854 View Post
    For 'practical accuracy', reliably hitting a man-sized target out to 3-400yd, it's a wash. 3-4 MOA is mil standard for issue rifles few civilian shooters are able to wring even that from their rifles.
    When the AK bug finally bit me, I looked for straightness, weight and price point. It all came together for me with my WASR 10. Nearly 3k rounds later, I am still completely satisfied.
    Maybe so but the tighter the group, the higher the chance of placing a shot on target becomes. I once owned an original arsenal gun (100% Bulgarian made) with a milled receiver and a cold hammer forged barrel and it was dead nuts accurate so AK's can provide that, but many of the AK rifles out there that I've seen are cheaply made, very inaccurate and basically junk. I guess that you get what you pay for but for 30 cal. I lean towards the FAL and HK91/G3 Rifles

Feedback Score
    Well milled rec would be a little more stable. But I don't think cause it's milled it will be a tac driver.
    Yes a lot of the ak's are basic on the cheap side. Some worst than others.

#ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dlagrua View Post
    Maybe so but the tighter the group, the higher the chance of placing a shot on target becomes. I once owned an original arsenal gun (100% Bulgarian made) with a milled receiver and a cold hammer forged barrel and it was dead nuts accurate so AK's can provide that, but many of the AK rifles out there that I've seen are cheaply made, very inaccurate and basically junk. I guess that you get what you pay for but for 30 cal. I lean towards the FAL and HK91/G3 Rifles
    No argument there!

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tvfreakarms View Post
    Well milled rec would be a little more stable. But I don't think cause it's milled it will be a tac driver.
    Yes a lot of the ak's are basic on the cheap side. Some worst than others.

Milled receivers are more rigid, but there's also a lot of tolerance stacking that goes into them when they are built. I really doubt that the milled receiver alone makes a large difference in the rifle's accuracy potential.

For what the AK was made for, that slight difference in accuracy you get from one AK to another probably shouldn't be the deciding factor of choosing that AK over another rife, at least in my opinion. It's hard to word what I'm trying to say, but basically if that marginal improvement in MOA from one AK to another is that important for the shot, then you should probably using something else.

The other thing that's very often over looked in regards to accuracy from AK's is the ammo itself. Face it, the vast majority of 7.62 x 39 people buy and shoot is the cheapest steel cases ammo they can buy. It's not famous for its precision/consistency.

Even though not all brass .223/5.56 is crazy accurate, I would still say it has better potential than the steel East European stuff. Then again this isn't even taking into account the physical difference in .223 and 30 cal.

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast