Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    That's true. People just plink with it.
    But people that buy ak's isn't buying it to get sub moa.
    Well most people

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    #ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    I have been shooting AKs since fam training in the 80s.

Sub 2 MOA?

What ammo do you plan on using.

Besides FA mil guns, and mil ammo,
    I have personal AKs in Romanian, Yugo, and chinese flavors since the early 90s. Two with the extra thick stamped receivers I actually prefer over milled.

All Norinco, Wolf, Tula, Bear, etc. ammo I have shot has not been 2 MOA. Some of it is more like 4.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anything Chinese

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What would one look for?

The cheap ammo that was the big draw for the budget crowd. Was cleaning out the ammo area last week and gave a friend (who is into AK and SKS's. He prefers an SKS with mag conversion any day over his AK's) around 2 cases worth of the old norinco 762x39 marked at $2.70 a box of 20 from Long's Drug stores, lol. .13 cents a round and AK's made sense. Current pricing on 762x39 makes me wonder why you would even consider the platform.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

The only AK I would own and do own is a Bulgarian, milled Arsenal.

Heck, my phone wasn't updating. Didn't realize this thread was more than a few posts.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-18-16 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Arsenals are okay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    What would one look for?

The cheap ammo that was the big draw for the budget crowd. Was cleaning out the ammo area last week and gave a friend (who is into AK and SKS's. He prefers an SKS with mag conversion any day over his AK's) around 2 cases worth of the old norinco 762x39 marked at $2.70 a box of 20 from Long's Drug stores, lol. .13 cents a round and AK's made sense. Current pricing on 762x39 makes me wonder why you would even consider the platform.
    Here in Alabama, 7.62x39 is still a bit cheaper than 5.56.

Feedback Score
    Dont buy american ak's!!!

Feedback Score
    I originally composed this message for TOrrock as a PM (Box is full). So I'll post it here now than as a general inquiry for anyone who may have something of value to add?

I'm giving some serious considerations in making a purchase on an Arsenal SLR106CR (in 5.56). But to be honest I've been doing a ton a digging around and research and I've found such a high degree of mix reviews on the gun in 5.56 that I've become a little weary at this point. Some people have had absolutely no issues and other many. I've read various threads of yours for years now with regards to the AK rifle and wanted to reach out to you personally as I feel like we have similar ideas on what constitutes a "fighting rifle" vs a hobby gun. With your experience on the SLR-106FR, I was hoping maybe you could ease my mind or point me in a different direction.

This will be my 2nd AK. I currently have a Romanian SAR1 with mostly original OEM parts and components. I've done a fair amount of work "dragging it into the 21st century". Without turning it into some wacky gun store commando rifle. While I personally consider myself an "AR guy" and absolutely love BCM 14.5 mid-lengths for example. Something about a well thought out and smartly modernized AK has always given me a warm and fuzzy.

I set up a little list of requirements/criteria for another AK. I've personally always loved the aesthetics of the AK105, So I've wanted to do a rifle alone that similar profile. Which is what brought me to the SLR106CR

1) I want it in 5.56. Ideally, I guess for some commonality with my current primary bulk and defensive ammo purchases. I happen to rather be a strong proponent of modern good projectile designs in 556. Not that 762x39 is a particularly harsh shooting loading. I would prefer something a little cleaner in recoil characteristics and more appropriate within a home defense setting. Having said that, a lot of the negative reviews I've seen of the gun in 5.56 I am somewhat willing to go the 107CR (762x39) or even 5.45 route if reliability is generally going to be better? Tho nothing in the 545 particularly excites me from a premium ammo defensive line of thinking (ideally barrier blind type projectiles)

2) I like the fact that it already has the front sight/gas block combo, which is an upgrade I did on my SAR1 and likely something I would do on almost any AK from now on. So the barrel of the 106CR could be shortened to 14.5" if I decided to do that again and add a modern effective US made muzzle device with a little less work than what it took for my SAR1 another time around. Which is definitely something I may do. Not initially I'd plan on leaving it with that "AK105" look.

3) I like the idea of the folding stock, for storage and transport.

Immediate changes I have planned with the 106CR is an Ultimak gas tube. Mounting a Micro RD and VLTOR/G2X forward and a US Palm AK grip and that's it. With a much later possible/likely idk change to the barrel configuration (shorten to 14.5 and perm a good muzzle brake.)

I plan on using good magazines of course. Circle 10 and Polish Beryl 5.56

I just don't want to spend $1000+ and have a frustrating experience. That some to have had and others not at all.
    Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 05-10-17 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    look for a factory made AK not american......i think Bulgarian is the best current option.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast