Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44 Mag Snubbie

Feedback Score

.44 Mag Snubbie

I bought one at auction. Haven't gotten it yet, but anxiously awaiting....

So, how well does .44 Mag work with a snubbie? I have never shot more than .38spl with one....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    what model is it? I think 44 mag still packs a fair punch out of a shorter barrel. Doesn't drop off bad like 357 mag if i remember correctly.

I was looking at ruger alaskans for awhile (though i have yet to see a bear in this state), they seem to get decent reviews in regard to shootability.

a friend of mine has an airweight smith 44... apparently it's brutal to shoot.

Feedback Score

Depends

Who is the maker? what model? Steel or some airweight alloy? How hot of rounds you wanna shoot through it? Have you shot any .44 mags before?

I enjoy shooting my .44 mag Ruger SuperRedhawk - but it is heavy with a 7" barrel. I shoot 300 grain hard cast lead loaded to max SAAMI specs through mine (bear protection) and I dont mind the recoil much - though others have complained about it.

Any shortened version is gonna have a bit of kick and some flash - but the good news is that depending on your use you may find .44 special to be more up your alley.
    Last edited by Preliator; 11-26-11 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    You're going to get a helluva muzzle blast and flame with .44 mag loads. Forget any double tap. Consider some good defensive .44 Special loads.
    Last edited by Eirerogue; 11-26-11 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    Taurus Tracker. But, it does not appear to have the ported barrel.....

I am used to .357 with a four inch barrel, just never done a snubbie or .44mag

looks like this.

Last edited by BamaM4; 11-27-11 at 00:06. Reason: add pic

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    what model is it? I think 44 mag still packs a fair punch out of a shorter barrel. Doesn't drop off bad like 357 mag if i remember correctly.

I was looking at ruger alaskans for awhile (though i have yet to see a bear in this state), they seem to get decent reviews in regard to shootability.

a friend of mine has an airweight smith 44... apparently it's brutal to shoot.
    It drops off the same as any other cartridge that uses slow burning powder in a short barrel. Personally I much prefer 4 inch 44 mags as a universal choice. Not so big you can't pack it in the woods not so small you can't shoot it well enough to do the job.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree, and most of my 44's are four inch. However I do have a Smith Nightguard .44 magnum snubbie that I have squeezed Hogue K/L frame small rubber grips onto, to carry in a fanny pack out XC skiing. Not much fun to shoot with the Garrett Defender ammo, but it is another tool in the toolbox.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You might want to read what John Taffin had to say after shooting howitzers like that. It pretty well destroyed his wrists over time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Defender load is a hard cast, penetrating load designed for the Scandium and drives the 310 load at "only" 1,020 fps. I average between 6-12 cartridges a year, per each of my 329's, to verify function, so neither the revolver or my wrists are at too much risk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I agree, and most of my 44's are four inch. However I do have a Smith Nightguard .44 magnum snubbie that I have squeezed Hogue K/L frame small rubber grips onto, to carry in a fanny pack out XC skiing. Not much fun to shoot with the Garrett Defender ammo, but it is another tool in the toolbox.
    That Defender is a great load. It'll drop anything in North America. The Federal Cast Core is a good 2nd choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast