Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angled BUIS

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Angled BUIS

Anyone using angled BUIS? They are on the Army's wish-list for an M110 replacement:

The US Army has issued a request to the private sector to reconfigure or replace the current Knight Armament M110 sniper rifle as the current version of the M110 is not functioning well in the field requiring significant maintenance and replacement of parts.

The specifications the US Army has issued are as follows:

1.Operation: Semi-automatic
    2.Caliber: Compatible with 7.62x51mm NATO cartridges
    3.Accuracy: Capable of 1.3 minute of angle dispersion or better with match ammunition
    4.Size: Overall length shall be reduced using a shorter barrel and/or collapsible buttstock. Maximum length not to exceed 39 without suppressor. Desired minimum length is less than 36 with stock collapsed.
    5.Weight: Weight shall be under 9.0 lb for unloaded rifle without optics and accessories
    6.Grip: A modular, adjustable pistol grip.
    7.Trigger: A non-adjustable match style trigger.
    8.Hand guard: A forend that includes a fixed 12 o’ clock rail with configurable 3, 6, and 9 o’ clock rails.
    9.Sound suppressor: A muzzle mounted, detachable sound suppressor.
    10.Muzzle device: A compensator/muzzle brake compatible with the sound suppressor.
    11.Bipod: Tool-less detachment featuring cant and pan/track capability.
    12.Day optic: An Army specified variable power day optic and compatible rings.
    13.Back up sights: Iron sights offset 45 deg from the DOS.
    14.Sling attachment: Flush cup, quick detach sling attachment points.
    15.Other: The upgraded M110 must meet the operational and environmental requirements that were fulfilled by the original M110 SASS.
    So, if you are using them, fill us in on them please!
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 11-27-11 at 09:13.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Surefire DuekDefense

I have a set of them from Surefire and they are great. I was a little hesitant at first thinking they would be snagging my gear. But they haven't snagged up and run great. Very easy to zero compared to my docters and other mrd's. I like the fact they don't need baterys and are extremely solid!

I will put a set eventually on every long gun I have.
    “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Samuel Adams

Those that bleed with me are forever my brothers OCT 28

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Surefires are fixed. Are there adaptors for folding BUIS...or would that defeat the purpose? It seems to me the fixed would be faster of course for rapid transitions, but they do stick out a bit and might snag stuff.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    The Surefires are fixed. Are there adaptors for folding BUIS...or would that defeat the purpose? It seems to me the fixed would be faster of course for rapid transitions, but they do stick out a bit and might snag stuff.
    No more so than a scope and a bipod would, or fixed sights at the 12 o'clock like on any other rifle.
    Last edited by kmrtnsn; 11-27-11 at 19:39.

Feedback Score
    JP rifles sells a 45 adapter that puts it on line with their handguard at the 1:30 position. I mounted a set of magpul mbuis and they work great. They are a very low profile and are quick to access. I have been thinking of upgrading to metal sites as I could run a tritium front site.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ordered a set of Duecks from a distributor and they got back-ordered. I then ordered from Dueck and they promptly shipped. Then my back-order arrived. Oh well, might as well keep them. I put one set on an LMT 7.62 and the other on my 5.45. I've shot maybe a thousand cartridges with them, they work and I like the concept. I need one more set but they are pricey so they will have to wait a couple months or years.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    KAC does sell folding angled BUIS. 45 degrees might be a bit much rotation, but for a precision rifle that doesn't have an IR LD mounted on either adjacent side, seems like it will work fine. Not going to be as fast as the Dueck/SF fixed ones if they're not already deployed, but for the added cost and complexity you can stow them out of the way on a rifle you're primarily going to use the glass with, and have irons available without having to detach a zoom optic.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Britain and New Zealand just adopted the LMT MWS the Kiwis with the angled Dueck BUIS... it makes me wonder if the LMT MWS might soon replace the Knight's for the US Army.

Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1326

But to me, if I'm going to snag something I'd rather it have as few mounted parts as possible.

With a fixed setup you're looking at 2 mounts that could come loose if hit hard enough and lose zero.

Where as on a system like I linked there, you have to mount it, then mount the sight to it. So 4 places where the zero could be lost.

However, the cost is less for the separate setup. $37x2 then $75 for the MBUS'. $150 for the whole thing and the Surefires are $240

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Cool, but that looks like its just for MRDs. I think with irons they would be too high. If I could afford another T-1 though...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast