Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Angled BUIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    No reason I can see except for cost. I will be going with a T-1/angle mount combo.
    Irons don't get foggy or blurred with condensation. Espc when going in and out of air conditioned vehicles.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

use

I have to say the surefire's are my favorite for a few reasons. I do like the look of the knights and have a friend who uses them with no complaint. It looks like they are excellent for storage and transport.

However for me in particular and my personal experience and preference; i like the fact that the surefire is constantly deployed. I have experienced a few missed shots on shit heads, after VERY limited exposure. I mean very limited! It happened when we were on a roof top doing our thing out to 500-600 meters, so I've got the gun working with the Schmidt at maybe 10-12. Then all the sudden fricken mohammed pops out to a flank at like 50 or so meters. So I snap the gun over and Im looking through my S&B "straw". Needless to say while im searching for a sight picture, shit head has disappeared into a ditch and some thick grass. SO my personal experience and those of friends in the same work, has been that when you need it you really need it. I have generally not had time to deploy such things as fold down sights.

Just my two cents and my experience.

Someone else here asked why the irons at 45 instead of an aimpoint or Docter. Well for me its rugged design, battery free and very simple to zero. Not to mention half the price of the two other optics is up against.
    “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Samuel Adams

Those that bleed with me are forever my brothers OCT 28

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingFool View Post
    Irons don't get foggy or blurred with condensation. Espc when going in and out of air conditioned vehicles.
    Doesn't seem like much of a justification, by that logic people should ditch aimpoints/eotechs to run irons in general, not just offsets.

Feedback Score
    Or run an angled buis with the aimpoint or eotech. It's an hour drive to the range for me and with the extreme humidity it takes a little while for the condensation to go away. Just throwing it out there while brainstorming.

On a funny note: I once got to a match late and after registering I was up next. It was in the dead of summer and my rifle was on my backseat inside a soft case soaking up the air conditioning during the car ride. By the time I got all my gear ready and took the rifle out of the case everyone was ready to go. Lo and behold, I still could not do much with all the beads of water forming on the rear lens. Over 20 degree temp difference and over 90% humidity sucks.

Sent using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingFool View Post
    ...Lo and behold, I still could not do much with all the beads of water forming on the rear lens. Over 20 degree temp difference and over 90% humidity sucks.
    I had the same issue while shooting a carbine course in a torrential downpour. I just reached up and wiped the beads of water with my gloved hand and drove on.

Meanwhile, while trying to zero my M16A2 one Spring day, also in a downpour with high winds; I could not even see through my peep sight because of all the water that filled the peep. I tried blowing the water out but by the time I got my cheek up to the rifle it would bead up again.

Thankfully they called the rest of the effort off. There was no way we could have zeroed (I actually managed to zero in 6-rounds in between downpours) much less qualified in that weather.

I'll take an RDS over iron sights any day.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Love the looks of the Knights flip ups, especially how low they sit on the top rail. Unless they have some serious locking mech built to keep them upright during hard use IMO they are for back up only after primary optic failure. Relying on them being in the upright position and ready to engage an immediate CQB threat is a risky proposition to me. Without a lock of some sort that is. IMO if one is using the 45deg offset irons as a CQB type sighting option working in conjunction with long range glass they need to be fixed.

Feedback Score
    From the picture (mounted on the right side) it seems you have to rotate the rifle the get a decent sight picture. In this case, I understand the use of flip-up BUIS for up to 250 m (basically zero at 200, mainly for relatively close shots like a normal BUIS), but I don't see the point of using the graduations in this position for extended ranges.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't own any, but I've considered putting them on my SPR build.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a similar situation that I am stumped on how to resolve.
    I have a 308 AR (Mega Arms MA-Ten), with a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44.

Here`s the thing:
    I already have a set of Troy`s folding battle sights, which I love.

I am looking for a way to mount my Troys so that they clear the magnified optic.

The Dueck Defense RTS seem like a good option but, again I prefer to find something that can work with my Troys.

KAC makes their own folding offset BUIS.
    However, I believe that these do not lock in the up or down position. That`s something I very much like about the Troy units.

I`ve tried sticking the Troy BUIS onto the Haley Strategic Partners Thorntail Offset Adaptive Light Mount (excellent product, btw), but it will not clear the optic.

Anybody have any other solution alternatives?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast