Thread: FDE M&P .45 w/ Single side safety

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

FDE M&P .45 w/ Single side safety

I was just wondering if the FDE M&P .45 can be configured to a single sided safety as apposed to the standard abi-safety.

Thanks guys!

-Mike

Feedback Score
    To my knowledge, no. Its either ambi or none.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    I don't think it would take much to turn an ambi into a single sided. I'm waiting to see whether or not I'm keeping my MP45. If I do keep it, I'll be looking for a single-side solution also. I'm sure one of the B's could fix it up for ya.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why are you unsure about keeping your M&P .45? I've never had the chance to hold or shoot one. How's it performing so far?

Feedback Score
    Due to the design, I dont think a single sided will be possibly very easily. Could be wrong though.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCLeonard View Post
    Why are you unsure about keeping your M&P .45? I've never had the chance to hold or shoot one. How's it performing so far?
    It's working alright....just not catching my fancy, at least not over my 1911's. If it doesn't start giving me free lap dances or something soon, I'll probably send it packing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dang. I just picked one up at the funshow and didn't notice the safety being on the right side...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok not only did I pick it up yesterday I traded them my SA loaded for it today...

I looked inside- the right side of the safety is what blocks the trigger bar or whatever it is called. BUT you could remove the safety and dremel off the metal strut that comes out of the right side and all you'd be left with is a small rectangular hole and a shiny piece of metal. I'd permablue it and be done with it.

I'm not ready to lose my ambi right now so I won't prove that it can be done but I'm pretty sure it can.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I believe it can be easily done by simply cutting off the right side safety. You would have to remove the sear block, and then remove the safety from the sear block. All this entails is driving out the sear block roll-pin. The safety comes right off of the sear block. I would cut the right side lever off right where it bends out directly behind where the trigger bar makes contact with it when activated. As was stated above, you will be left with a notch/cut out where the right side safety lever used to be. All of the versions of the M&P45 that do not have the manual thumb safety appear to have a small black plastic insert to fill this notched area. I would try calling S&W and try to get them to send you out a couple of spare inserts.

I may try this out for myself. I will call S&W in the next few days, and see what they say about sending out the inserts, and I will report back.

Feedback Score
    Did you ever do anything with this? I would like to get a FDE to complement my two black .45s but don't want the thumb safety.