Thread: Arsenal SGL-20 Muzzle Brake

Feedback Score

Arsenal SGL-20 Muzzle Brake

My new (old stock) SGL20-01 that I just bought does not have a muzzle brake, just a very ugly thread cap. What is the best source for a AK-74 style brake for the 7.62x39 SGL20-01? Will the US mfg brake on my 5.45x39 SGL-31 work on the 7.62x39 SGL-20? I don't see two sizes on the K-Var website. I was thinking of buying a surplus (E. German) chrome lined brake for my SGL-31 since I shoot it mostly w/ corrosive Russian surplus ammo.
    SGL-20-01

SGL31-61
    Last edited by Iceberg; 11-28-11 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A 5.45 Brake will not work on a 7.62 rifle; you are going to see that larger bullet go through that smaller hole.

Battle comp now has a BC AK brake; now is the time to upgrade.

Feedback Score
    You can use the East German 5.45x39mm brake if you ream it out to a minimum of .315" or rather .320"

Feedback Score
    Definitely a few options for you these days. From a fairly budget one from CNCWarrior, to a mid priced one from Arsenal or Krebs Custom, to the premium choices like an AK Battlecomp (just make sure you get the M24x1.5 threaded version of whatever you choose!). The AKBC's in 24mm are not quite out yet, but word is they'll be available soon.

If you shoot a lot of corrosive, a chrome lined brake might be the best choice. Just bear in mind that 922r comes into play, and depending on how your rifle is set up it may be something to consider. Or not. Never heard of anybody getting pinched for 922r that wasn't already in hot water for some other reason, but it is what it is.

Good luck!
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    I recommend a brake from AKUSA. I have one of their brakes on a 103 clone. It's nearly identical to a Russian brake, minus the stamping on the top that says "7,62x39" and it has a flat spot underneath.

From a functional standpoint it's awesome. Chrome-lined, fits great on the sight and works perfectly with a bayonet. The only negative thing I can say about it is the paint isn't the best. It peels off like a sunburn, but I just removed it all and painted over it with some textured black Rustoleum (pretty tough stuff).

You can use a 5.45 brake if you drill it out, like was said before. I didn't wanna do that because then there'd be an area that isn't chrome-lined... why get a chrome-lined brake just to remove some of the chrome?

I would recommend against the Arsenal brake, however, as it's not chrome-lined in 7.62x39.
    Last edited by CumbiaDude; 11-28-11 at 20:01.