Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Accurate" 10.5" build inquiry

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

"Accurate" 10.5" build inquiry

I really didn't know where the hell to put this post. It was either here or in the custom build forum.
    I usually don't ask xxx vs xxx but this one had to be done since I couldn't really find solid info on the SBR length stuff.
    One of my goals is to put together a reliable and accurate training 10.5" upper for one of my pending SBR lowers. I plan on taking a few training courses in 2012, time/money permitting.
    I have other projects in the pipeline ranging from 11.5-14.5" but this is priority one for right now.

The two barrels right now that peak my interest are the Lothar Walther (LW-50) 10.5" 1/8 .223 Wylde barrel (made for Spikes) and the Shilen Match Grade Stainless 10.5" 1/8 .223 Wylde (made for Rainier Arms aka Ranier Arms Ultra Match). Besides the barrel profile and barrel material, the LW has polygonal rifling (I think) and the Shilen has the Ratchet rifling. That's really all I know about the two.
    All else fails there's always the Noveske CQB barrel..

Any thoughts on the LW or Shilen barrels for the 10.5" application? I will probably run a suppressor on it on occasion. I'm even thinking about sending whatever barrel out to get the golf ball treatment by Marvin.
    Last edited by 021411; 11-28-11 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I would never use a SS barrel for a barrel that short.

If you want accurate, get a quality hammer forged barrel from Noveske, BCM or DD or a Colt in the length you want. All will shoot 1.5" and under.

C4

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I would never use a SS barrel for a barrel that short.

If you want accurate, get a quality hammer forged barrel from Noveske, BCM or DD or a Colt in the length you want. All will shoot 1.5" and under.

C4
    What is the shortest barrel you'd rock Stainless?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For my knowledge, why not SS in 10.5?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    For my knowledge, why not SS in 10.5?
    I'm not Grant, but out of a barrel that short you are really not taking advantage of the primary quality a Stainless Steel barrel offers: Accuracy. You gain weight, expense, and lose barrel life without getting any real benefit.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What is the shortest barrel you'd rock Stainless?
    Probably 14.5.

The three main reasons are cost, weight and fragmentation range. You buy a SS barrel because you want accuracy at distance. When the barrel is only 10.3 inches, your effective fragmentation range is about 60yds. Most any quality made barrel is going to shoot .5" groups at that distance.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I switched out rear BUIS on my LMT 10.5" last week and rezeroed. The following target was shot at 100yds on a NRA B-8. 3 shot group with Performance Match 55gr. FMJ. Prone with support hand between forend and day pack.

I would say accuracte enough.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was wondering since Noveske puts out a stainless 10.5" as well. There has to be some reason why they are marketing one..

With that said, I do have a Noveske MK18 upper sitting in my station locker until I get my stamps in. I just want to build a more accurate upper compared to the MK18.. granted I do my part behind the trigger.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    I was wondering since Noveske puts out a stainless 10.5" as well. There has to be some reason why they are marketing one..

With that said, I do have a Noveske MK18 upper sitting in my station locker until I get my stamps in. I just want to build a more accurate upper compared to the MK18.. granted I do my part behind the trigger.
    Gun manufacturers will build whatever they think you will buy.

I run a 10.3 Noveske N4 (LW) barrel. It is so accurate (under 1MOA), that I sent John an e-mail advising him to STOP making SS barrels (as the N4 lites were so accurate there was no need).

Test the upper you have. You might be shocked.

IMHO, there is NO NEED for SUB MOA accuracy out of a 10-12" SBR.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 11-28-11 at 11:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Roger that Grant. Thanks for the info. Now the other question. Centurion Arms 10.5 or Noveske N4 10.5?
    Last edited by 021411; 11-28-11 at 11:48.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast