Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.56X45 AKs in military service

Feedback Score

5.56X45 AKs in military service

Hello everyone, I come before you with a couple questions regarding the AK platform and military service, specifically, 5.56 AKs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that 5.56 AKs are mainly produced as exports with the exception that some countries field them as actual service rifles. So, I have a couple questions in relation to this.

Which countries field them? How are they performing? And is their a civilian equivalent that an American consumer can purchase?

I ask these questions not only to satisfy my own curiosity, but also to assist myself in buying a new rifle. I'm graduating college soon and would like to buy a top quality "military spec" weapon to commemorate the occasion. I would use the rifle as a home defense weapon that I would take to a carbine class whenever funds and time allow, and also as just another cool gun to have fun with.

I thank everyone for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to the replies.

Feedback Score
    There are AK-derivate in 5.56 in use by Polish Army. It is our main assault rifle (SOF units use ARs, mostly differend flavour of HK416) ins service. Used by Polish forces in combat mission in A-stan as well as previously in Iraq.

More on it:

wz. 96 Beryl assault rifle

wz. 96 Mini Beryl automatic carbine

Both are available in semi-auto version for civilian shooters here in Poland (as Radom Sport and Mini Radom Sport).

On last Shot show Beryl, Mini Beryl and Beryl Commando (mid-lenght with gas system from Mini) were presented on Bumar stand. As well as "Archer Pistol" - semi auto Mini Beryl in pistol form, to comply with US assault rifle import ban. FB Radom and Bumar are interested to come on US market, but it is not their priority, as Beryl is more expensive that most Russian and Bulgarian products.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Theres nothing wrong with an AK in 5.56, but there are plenty of other platforms I would choose first. The AK loses a little bit of the reliability that it is famous for when chambered for the straight walled 5.56 round.

I'd go with 7.62x39 first, then 5.45mm if you want an AK. If you're set on 5.56 in the AK, get an Arsenal.

Feedback Score
    Bulgarians use 5.56 AK's.
    This is one of the most famous pics

Feedback Score
    Wow, thanks for the speedy replies so far guys!

Montrala: That Beryl looks awesome! I wonder how long it will take to come to the States. The fact that it will cost more than Russian and Bulgarian isn't an issue for me. Not that I'm rich, I just don't have a problem waiting and saving my money to buy a quality product.

lloydkristmas: What you said makes a lot of sense. And from what I've been reading mirrors your information. Originally I was planning on buying a 7.62 AK (I was looking at MAK 90s and Arsenals). But the common availability of 5.56 coupled up with the fact that my Grandpa reloads 5.56 (we already reload .357's for my 686 revolver, and it's such a nice bonding experience for the both of us I wanted to reload with him more) pushed me towards the 5.56.

96 SS: The AK in that picture appears to have a milled receiver, but Arsenal's website doesn't currently list any milled 5.56 guns. Are they the best of the best when it comes to 5.56 Bulgarian AK's? Or are they equally as reliable as the stamped Bulgarian offerings? I've been eying up the SLR-106 so that's why I ask.

As before, I thank everyone sincerely for reading my posts and replying with such outstanding information. Please keep it coming!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think the only two countries that use a 5.56 AK as a standard service rifle are Poland (Beryl) and Bulgaria (ARM-1)

Arsenal used to import the ARM-1 in semi auto as the SA-5R but they no longer do and they are expensive if you can find one. I have one and it is one of my favorite AKs and one of the few AKs in the US that is actually a real military rifle instead of a generic AK.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydkristmas View Post
    Theres nothing wrong with an AK in 5.56, but there are plenty of other platforms I would choose first. The AK loses a little bit of the reliability that it is famous for when chambered for the straight walled 5.56 round.

I'd go with 7.62x39 first, then 5.45mm if you want an AK. If you're set on 5.56 in the AK, get an Arsenal.
    That and there was no Mother Russia to dictate the specs on 5.56 AKs. As compared to 7.62 and 5.45 guns there is a chance of incompatibility. I'm sure Templar will be here soon and expand upon that...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    From what I can see, the SLR-106 is out of production and I know of no other quality factory AK's being sold in the US today. If you want one, you will have to pay a premium on the secondary market. Earlier production models had a lot of feeding problems, and you run the risk of purchasing a headache. I'm sure that the Beryls etc. out there are very nice guns, but unfortunately we can't have them. You could convert a Saiga .223, but being as you reload and they destroy brass this is probably not a good idea.

Additionally, you need to consider the lack of uniformity in 5.56 AK construction. Firing pins, barrels, bolts, etc are different between vendors. If you need a replacement part, will you be able to find the right one? Magazines, too, are non-standardized and often have to be individually fit. Even after that, they sometimes won't work.

All things considered, unless you simply 'want an AK' for whatever reason I feel that an AR is a much better choice in 5.56 right now.
    For not much more than the price of a used factory 5.56 AK, you can get a new Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense carbine that will be just as reliable (in 5.56) and a lot more sustainable. In addition you will benefit from the better controls and ergonomics, lighter weight, better balance, better sights, cheaper magazines, better accessory options, improved accuracy, and intact brass for reloading.

Feedback Score

Members of Special Detachment 88 perform their skills during a ceremony to mark 62nd anniversary of Indonesia police in Jakarta on 01 July 2008. Special Detachment 88 is the Indonesian counter-terrorism squad, and if the secrecy around it could be lifted, the unit would be one of the prime symbols of Indonesia's transition from military-backed dictatorship to civilian democracy. Formed after the Bali bombings of October 2002 which killed 202 people, including 88 Australians, the unit has steadily hammered the jihadi terrorist cells linked to the absolutist Jemaah Islamiah movement based in Central Java.

Feedback Score

Lebanese Internal Security Forces

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast