Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California AK Choice

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

California AK Choice

I am looking into the possibility of purchasing an AK-47 after the holidays. My problem is that I am a resident of the P.R.K. (Peoples Republik of Kaliforniastan.)

My legal options (beyond moving) seem to be an AK like this..

or an conventional pistol gripped AK with a bullet button and a 10 round magazine.

I do not have a whole lot of experience with AK's.

I would like to hear a few opinions on which option you would prefer and why if you were in my shoes.

I would likely outfit it with a rail, so I can mount something along the lines of an Aimpoint T-1 and a light.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    You can also use a detachable mag and a monsterman grip on the pistol grip. It'd be a lot more AK-y. You can do an ultimak on the front if you want the light and dot, even on a stock Saiga.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Your goal is to have a non-bullet-buttoned AK?

If you are OK with bullet-button, your options will open up.

Have you shot a bullet-buttoned and a featureless one side by side? Might want to do it before you spend the money.

Honestly, I cant get use to the featureless AR/AK's.
    Last edited by Zzzake; 11-29-11 at 00:46.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Same here which is why I went the bb route on my AR. Just my two cents

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If I were limited to only 10 rounds, I would want something in .308.

The Saiga offering in .308 isn't bad, they're a blast to shoot and they'll eat everything. That being said, if .308 was desired a FAL would probably be the route I'd go.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by ChocLab; 07-13-13 at 13:19. Reason: Edit
    Realization/Goal for me, average civilian shooter: Spend at least 5 hours dry firing, drills, shooting, getting proper live instruction for every 1 hour spent surfing forums about equipment set up.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by ChocLab; 07-13-13 at 13:18. Reason: Edit
    Realization/Goal for me, average civilian shooter: Spend at least 5 hours dry firing, drills, shooting, getting proper live instruction for every 1 hour spent surfing forums about equipment set up.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bondmid003 View Post
    Same here which is why I went the bb route on my AR. Just my two cents
    My personal AR is a bullet button bastard also.
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For an AK, I'd just throw one of those Solar Tactical wrap around jobs on the pistol grip and retain full funtionality. Bullet button guns are safe queens until I can move out of CA.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As far as a featureless AK...

I am not looking to mount a
    -grenade launcher
    -bayonet
    -vertical fore grip (only use as hand stop anyway and can use a LaRue hand stop without running afoul of the authorities.)

Are the only features that I am missing out on with a rifle stock a flash suppressor and pistol grip?
    NRA Life Member

-E. Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast