Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "predator" bullets?

Feedback Score

"predator" bullets?

In his book released this month about the UBL raid, former SEAL Chuck Pfarrer claims Bin Laden was killed with Navy 855 5.56 Predator bullets.
    Really.
    I imagine this is akin to the .40 caliber Glock 17 he carried in Warrior Soul (which is a good read).

Anyway, has Chuck gone off the deep end or am I uneducated?
    I do not ride to work in a helicopter or pretend to have insider information from my fifth cousin's friend about Delta Force, although I once served with a SEAL unit at Fort Monroe. It was a wedding party and I was 10. And no, I have not stopped talking about it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not sure what he's referring to.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not sure what he's referring to.
    In a different part of the book, he talks about ST6 snipers using PSG-2 rifles (I think in context of the Maersk Alabama event), also shooting the 5.56 "predator" rounds. First -- there is no such thing as a PSG-2 rifle. He clearly means the PSG version of the HK G3, which he calls a G2. Second, the PSG is a 7.62 rifle.

The only thing I can think is that he meant M855 "penetrator."

I believe the book has been directly discredited at this point by JSOC and McRaven which is a huge shame.
    I do not ride to work in a helicopter or pretend to have insider information from my fifth cousin's friend about Delta Force, although I once served with a SEAL unit at Fort Monroe. It was a wedding party and I was 10. And no, I have not stopped talking about it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ahhhh predator/penetrator... I see.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfltackdriver View Post
    In a different part of the book, he talks about ST6 snipers using PSG-2 rifles (I think in context of the Maersk Alabama event), also shooting the 5.56 "predator" rounds. First -- there is no such thing as a PSG-2 rifle. He clearly means the PSG version of the HK G3, which he calls a G2. Second, the PSG is a 7.62 rifle.

The only thing I can think is that he meant M855 "penetrator."

I believe the book has been directly discredited at this point by JSOC and McRaven which is a huge shame.
    you'd think a guy claiming to be a seal would do enough research so some regular gun forum guys couldn't call him out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    you'd think a guy claiming to be a seal would do enough research so some regular gun forum guys couldn't call him out.
    I have no doubt at all that Chuck Pfarrer is who he says he is. No one has discredited that. The gubment has come out and said his book is totally inaccurate and that he never talked to actual team members who were on the ground, contrary to his claims.

Stupid mistakes like this undermine the credibility of the entire account.

Then again, the establishment also went ridiculously out of its way to discredit the Schmidle New Yorker account, too. No one challenged Schmidle's facts, just that he ethically didn't outright state he hadn't directly talked to the team members, and instead relied on access to recordings of radio traffic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I looked through the book in the bookstore and a number of things struck me as strange.

He claims that the M855 round is known in Naval circles as the "predator," and goes on to describe it as though it is some elusive and exotic hard to get round, when it is in fact the standard round of the US military.

He also claimed that the round was used by the SEALs to kill the pirate hijackers in the incident when they rescued a ship's captain. According to him they used a special sniper gun known as the H&K G2 in 5.56mm.

He also claimed that upon being made a member of SEAL Team 6, every member is given a Walther PPK as a concealed carry firearm.

There were other things that seemed strange, but those are the two that I remember.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that his experience with ST6 was in the early 80s IIRC.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    I know this is an older thread, but saw no reason to start a new one. I just finished reading the book and I thought the above things mentioned were off..... As well as the picture of him in the book all decked out with an Eotech on backwards
    I can't find a better pic of it but this you can still see it...
    http://thevictorysessions.com/2011/1...chuck-pfarrer/
    It seems to me if you are trying to tell the truth of a story, you would need to have easily identifiable facts straight. In the same Maersk AL section where he gets the m855 "predator" rounds and a 7.62 rifle firing 5.56 rounds wrong, there are some funny things about the NVGs he speaks of. I can't remember right this second what it was, but it was definitely odd/off
    Last edited by steyrman13; 07-04-13 at 15:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=steyrman13;1688096]I know this is an older thread, but saw no reason to start a new one. I just finished reading the book and I thought the above things mentioned were off..... As well as the picture of him in the book all decked out with an Eotech on backwards

I recall another thread with pics showing the same reverse mounting of what looks to be an eotech and was actually a cheap knockoff optic that was designed to be mounted in reverse.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast