Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load development: one load, different barrel lengths

Feedback Score

Load development: one load, different barrel lengths

I tried searching for this with no luck.

If you wanted to develop a given load to work in multiple ARs with different barrel lengths, but same twist, which barrel length would you use for initial development?

I expect the responses will be something like "whichever rifle you expect to shoot the load in the most". But, let's suppose it is equal amounts between all lengths. Does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We always chrono off a 20 inch barrel for complete comparability.

FWIW... our most successful multi gun load is 21.6 gr H322, 77 gr SMK, and WOLF SRM primer. Just shoots great in everything. SBRs, Bolt gun, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Markm, thanks for your response. I did not consider comparability; good idea! Thanks for your load tip, I will store that one away for the future.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolf59 View Post
    Markm, thanks for your response. I did not consider comparability; good idea! Thanks for your load tip, I will store that one away for the future.
    Yeah.. it gets too confusing otherwise.. This velocity out of a 12.5", that one out of a 14.5" etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I think you also have to decide if your emphasis is on velocity or accuracy (or something else). A very accurate load from the longer barrel may be very slow in the shorter barrels. If you're more concerned about longer range accuracy it may not matter as much. If you're trying to develop a close range combat load then velocity might be more important. Some powders work better out of shorter barrels and some are clearly better when chasing precision loads.

It may sound simple, but know what your priorities are before you start developing.

Feedback Score
    JimmyB, that is somewhat the train of thought I was on, which lead to this topic question. Thanks for verifying that I was not missing something.

MarkM, I wanted to ask on your "all around" 77 SMK load, are you using cannelured, or non? In a bolt gun, what was the twist?

Thanks for the responses!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolf59 View Post
    MarkM, I wanted to ask on your "all around" 77 SMK load, are you using cannelured, or non? In a bolt gun, what was the twist?
    Mostly non-cannalured... although I've loaded some with. The bolt gun is a 5R rem 700 with nominal 1/9 twist... although I think it may be faster... because it'll stabilize even 80 grainers out to 1000 yards.

Feedback Score

Load development: one load, different barrel lengths

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Mostly non-cannalured... although I've loaded some with. The bolt gun is a 5R rem 700 with nominal 1/9 twist... although I think it may be faster... because it'll stabilize even 80 grainers out to 1000 yards.
    Seems like barrel length might play a role in slower twist rates being able to stabilize heavies. A Friend has two 24" Colts 1/9 that shoot the heavies great.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We always chrono off a 20 inch barrel for complete comparability.

FWIW... our most successful multi gun load is 21.6 gr H322, 77 gr SMK, and WOLF SRM primer. Just shoots great in everything. SBRs, Bolt gun, etc.
    This is good to know. What is the muzzle velocity, extreme spread and standard deviation out of a 20" barrel?
    Train 2 Win

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast