Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do FLGRs exist?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    I had one break on and early Springfield Mil-Spec I had "upgraded". In 2004 I came in 3rd overall in CDP at the IDPA Nationals, behind Robbie Leatham and Greg Martin with a Wilson KZ-45. That gun didn't come from Wilson with a FLGR and I didn't feel that it needed one.
    Who knows, mebbe you would've beaten Leatham if you had a FLGR in your KZ...

Seriously, those bits info about rods breaking are important since reliability cannot be compromised. I had two guns with stainless steel FLGR, both Kimbers. The 5 inch one had about 300 rounds until I replaced it with regular guide. The 4 inch had a bull barrel and FLGR by design. That one had over 4K without any issues until I traded the gun.

Feedback Score
    This discussion kinda reminds me of a sign I posted by my home swimming pool when I lived in Austin, Texas.

Swimming attire is OPTIONAL.

If you need it wear it and if you don't, dont!!!

I have found no reason to use FLGRs, so I don't use them!!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
    This discussion kinda reminds me of a sign I posted by my home swimming pool when I lived in Austin, Texas.

Swimming attire is OPTIONAL.

If you need it wear it and if you don't, dont!!!
    So, it was you who started that whole "Keep Austin weird" thing, huh?

Feedback Score
    You never hear stories of a standard GI plug failing. That speaks volumes. For me it's no brainer really.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've never understood the whole "it will be easier to disassemble in the field" argument. Silly. However, I'm told that the GI assembly makes one handed racking easier?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I've never understood the whole "it will be easier to disassemble in the field" argument. Silly. However, I'm told that the GI assembly makes one handed racking easier?
    With the GI length rod you could catch the front of the pistol on a table or other hard surface to rack the slide.

Feedback Score
    Once upon a time long, long ago in a land far far way I was crouched down in a rice paddy, and a Marine Captain handed me a Colt M1911A1. I whispered in his ear, "Is it loaded", and he said "Yes, there is a round in the chamber and 7 in the clip". Under the circumstances, I checked and used the technique in the photo to find out. I slid the slide back until I could see brass, and then let the slide lock forward quietly, and waited...... Shortly thereafter it became necessary to use the Colt for the purpose for which it was intended, and it performed flawlessly!!!!

Last edited by John Holbrook; 12-04-11 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    It requires less tools, theoretically, than two-piece guiderods which protrude from the front of the slide enough to prevent installation without disassembling the rod.

There are flush-fit guidrods, however, which will not cause this problem.

My understanding is that the original use of the FLGR is to add weight towards the muzzle to reduce flip.

Feedback Score
    Here is where the FLGRs that I have removed from guns that I have bought wind up..

Feedback Score
    Now, here is a gadget that actually works!! It is called a Group Gripper and as you can see, it has a flat spring the helps barrel lockup by pushing against the link!!! I have had this one for years and I don't even know if they are still avaiable..

Yes they are!!!! And a very reasonable price!!!

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Group-Gr...oductinfo/12G/

Last edited by John Holbrook; 12-04-11 at 12:49.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast