Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FDE M&P 45 range report...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I shot my box stock M&P45 next to my "tweaked" M&P45 with a lighter and shortened reset trigger.

My groups with the stock pistol were all on a flashcard at 10yds. Which was decent.

When I swapped to the "tweaked" pistol, my groups tightened up by about 1/2.

I immediately arranged to have Burwell do a defensive trigger job on the new one.

Needed? Probably not. Wanted? Most definitely. The shortened reset alone was worth the nominal cost.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoni View Post
    I never said I wanted trigger work on my M&P. My M&P trigger was not so great to start but has gotten better. I think pistols of modern design, materials and construction methods should not require trigger jobs. Notice I said require. I refuse to send a Glock, M&P, USP or any pistol of that nature out for work. If they don't work and the factory can't make it right, I won't own it.
    And they don't require a trigger job.

Which makes me wonder why you'd say this:
    The trigger on mine is getting better but it really irks me that a "plastic wunder pistol" would need a trigger job right out of the blocks.
    Makes me thing you believe the M&P needs a trigger job out of the box. It doesn't need it. You may prefer it, but the gun does not need it.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The triggers on the MP45s seem to have a large varience in how heavy they are. My personal 45 felt great out of the box and has continued to smooth out. I handled a few FDE 45s recently and all of them had extremely heavy triggers.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dport View Post
    It doesn't need it. You may prefer it, but the gun does not need it.
    I agree.

Though I will hedge my bets and say there might be that 0.5% that do REALLY need one. Just because of whatever...machine tolerances, some gunk that got in the action, or whatever...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I agree.

Though I will hedge my bets and say there might be that 0.5% that do REALLY need one. Just because of whatever...machine tolerances, some gunk that got in the action, or whatever...
    I will concede the point on the exceptionally poor QCed Friday afternoon guns.

That said, a shorter reset sounds great.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    The triggers on the MP45s seem to have a large varience in how heavy they are. My personal 45 felt great out of the box and has continued to smooth out. I handled a few FDE 45s recently and all of them had extremely heavy triggers.
    Is there any correlation to these variations and the existence of a safety on the gun?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Lots of practice makes accurate hits. Honestly, a 5 lb trigger is not a hinderance to combat accuracy. I honestly think that people (not saying you) get way to hung up on having a 2 lb sneeze on it to fire it trigger. Yes, a very light trigger will make extreme pinpoint accuracy easier to accomplish in a static range session shooting bullseye matches at 25 yards. But on a fighting gun, if you cant make hits at 7-15 yrds with a 5 lb trigger, you need more range/class time, not a lighter trigger.

Note - I use 5 lb's as a reference, as thats approximately what most Glocks, M&Ps, good 1911's, etc... come with stock, give or take a half lb or so. definitely not talking about 12 lb type double action triggers here.
    So noted. I just prefer a 4lb trigger or even lighter. I'll take any advantage I can get! Practice and dry fires included!
    -Razoreye

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    No I agree. Too heavy a trigger can be an issue. I just think its very often used out of context as a crutch, and also applies more to DA and DOA type handguns.

I am beginning to wonder if there is some wide variation on the M&P 45 triggers. Both of mine feel like they are/were about 5.5 outof the box, 6 at the most. My black one, that I have more rounds through, feels about like a even 5. My newer FDE one feels like a 5.5 or so, with a little grit in the take up. I can tell a difference though with the dry fire it has been receiving and with just the first 100 rounds through it.
    That said, I do here more and more variations on the 45 triggers. Maybe I've just gotten lucky with mine, which is entirely possible.

I still stand by what I said though. If one cant make decent (combat) hits with a 5 lb Glock/M&P/1911 type trigger, then you need more class time before you need a lighter trigger.
    Just to note, mine feels significantly higher than 5lbs... maybe as high as 10! An easy test is to switch to your weak hand as it sometimes seems harder to discern on your strong hand.

I had hand surgery and lost some muscle in my right hand... I can barely pull the trigger with my right hand. My strength will come back but I can pull my stock Glock trigger with my right hand a bit easier. My Kimber? No problems so to speak.

Subjective I guess but for striker fired this .45 seems the heaviest by far. It may "smooth out" but I intend to carefully mod it to at least hit 5lbs.

BTW - my friend shot it very well but he has full use of both hands, he even commented on the heaviness and it needing a job. I can only use left hand no support for the time being and I could barely hit paper with that trigger. True I need practice but this is the heaviest non-DA trigger I've ever felt. With my right hand at full strength I don't see any problems or even as a support but I couldn't help but jerk trying to break the trigger.
    -Razoreye

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Both my M&P .45 triggers have smoothed out nicely. A trigger job would probably be nice but not needed and I don't want the shipping hassle. After 30+ years of 1911's, P220's and Glock .45's none of them allow me to hammer 10 rounds downrange as quickly and as accurately as the M&P .45.
    I like that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123