Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: According to this guy, his Mosin Nagant is better than any AR

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorDG View Post
    I see getting ammo after SHTF would be a problem. Stick with common ammo for SHTF.
    I don't understand why people use this as an argument.

The only resupply you should ever count on is self-resupply. A pauper can buy enough surplus 7.62x54 Rimmed ammo to last Armageddon and a couple of World Wars in a fairly short order.

If you find a rifle and a caliber you like, buy enough ammo and don't count on breaking into Dick's Sporting Goods come the opening of the Seventh Seal for your supply strategy.

Even in a total meltdown, you are not going to be shooting that much.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 01-17-12 at 21:39.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    I don't understand why people use this as an argument.

The only resupply you should ever count on is self-resupply. A pauper can buy enough surplus 7.62x54 Rimmed ammo to last Armageddon and a couple of World Wars in a fairly short order.

If you find a rifle and a caliber you like, buy enough ammo and don't count on breaking into Dick's Sporting Goods come the opening of the Seventh Seal for your supply strategy.

Even in a total meltdown, you are not going to be shooting that much.

I believe that those hoping to find or trade for ammunition after a SHTF event are just trying to compensate for poor initial planning. If you get caught lacking in food or supplies after reading the thousands of threads in section then shame on you.

Its not like the events of the past few years should have giving one a hint that preparations were needed and that the continuing decline of society should have expedited the completion of your stores.

Not busting stones here but repeating common sense.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Cabelas has them on sale starting tomorrow.... 99$ with bayonet and accessories. think ill pick one up just for kicks. besides, still have room in the gun safe

Feedback Score
    I have 2 safes. One is fire rated & one isn't.

The AR's, HK's, 5R, Mauser, Garand, 03A3 & pistols are in the fire rated safe.

The Mosin, SKS, & AK are in the other one.

Feedback Score
    I use to have a couple mosins, sold them along with all the other weird caliber or surplus crap. If you just want one for fun or collection, go for it.

For serious use you would have to be a retard to willingly pick a mosin as your main battle weapon. There 80$ for a reason. How the hell are you going to get in/out a car or even easily move around your house with those 5ft long things. Ammo selection sucks. Accuracy is generally worse than almost any modern bolt rifle. Try running or taking cover with a mosin lol.

If you really want a cheap bolt rifle the savage 10/stevens 200s are 2-300$, accurate, available in all calibers, easy to scope, easy to work on yourself, easily available new parts.

I guess if you only got 80$ a mosins about your only option. But, if you only got 80$ for a rifle, your primary concern should probably be figuring out where ****ed up in life and adressing that than worrying about firearms.
    Thats my take anyways.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    he is correct in stating that his Mosin-Nagant is better than your AR.... because he has a time muhsheen and frequently travels back to the Siege of Leningrad... and since it's 1942... and the 5.56 hasn't been made yet... he can't find any ammo for it... but the place is sprawling with Nagant's.... so he can just pick up ammo anywhere and everywhere and keep on truckin....

I mean come on, its really not that hard to understand... you know... if you think about it logically....

"...cuz its got lectralites"
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 01-20-12 at 05:00.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well i picked one up.... its a ton of cool, 70 year old, wwII era stuff for 99 bucks. at that price i think people are crazy for NOT picking one up.

when my non prepping, non gun owning brother comes knocking on my door when the SHTF...ill toss this out the window with a couple boxes of ammo and send him on his way, lol.

seriously though, i cant wait to shoot it and im glad i picked one up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At worse, buy a few of them and convert them into hunting rifle configuration using some of those bubba aftermarket kits. Even with a cheap scope you will be able to field a few 'snipers'. Hand them to your idiot friends who didn't have sense enough to prep.

Check out the book "Fry the Brain".

http://www.amazon.com/Fry-Brain-Snip.../dp/0971413398

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. 10 shooters armed with a mix of Mosins and Mossbergs is usually better than one shooter armed with an AR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Criminals and guerrillas have been "chopping" Mosin Nagants since forever. . .

Look at the pics towards the bottom of this page!

http://plowshareforge.blogspot.com/2...o-ways_11.html

This exemplifies the old adage “do what you can with what you have where you are.”
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I think one thing that is being overlooked here is that the basics of rifle marksmanship are the same regardless of what platform is utilized. Given the low cost and abundant supply of these rifles coupled with low priced surplus ammo, it makes for a good rifle to target practice with.

The same thing can be said about the numerous semi auto and bolt action .22 rimfires that many people have. Low cost weapon and cheap ammo to practice with. However, I don't see so many people calling other folks idiots and the like for purchasing a .22 to plink with.

A couple of advantages I would point out of a Mosin over a .22 is that you're firing a cartridge that has an actual recoil that the shooter needs to learn to manage and the 7.62x54 round can be used to take down medium sized game.

Is it tactically superior to an AR or an AK? Not in any regard that I can think of with the possible exception of maximum effective range, merely in terms of energy. And that is admittedly reaching....
    Last edited by LoboTBL; 01-28-12 at 00:28.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast