Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: According to this guy, his Mosin Nagant is better than any AR

Feedback Score

According to this guy, his Mosin Nagant is better than any AR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cf_j2YnLhw

I don't know what to say except

I have a mosin and I enjoy it but I just don't understand the obsession with it, especially when it comes to a SHTF scenario. If I was to use any WWII era weapon for SHTF, it would be my Springfield M1.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I put it here in the Survival forum because of the topic of the video.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    To each his own..
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    Mosin discussion seems to come in waves and has a cult like following. Seemingly the cult of the cheap. Rationalizing how carrying a mosin and 'knowing how to use it' will put you in better shape than the guy running an AR. Apparently people running ARs or AKs don't take classes but that mosin comes with a lifetime of small unit tactics and guerilla warfare experience.

I have only one purpose for mosins, it is the rifle version of a liberator pistol. For a small amount of money I can outfit and train a lot of people that otherwise wouldn't have guns NOT as a replacement or 'just as good as' solution to my ARs. So, if I was part of a prepper group where extended family would potentially be brought in I would push for the group to get a mosin and ammo for each possible 'extra person' while each core group member would have high quality carbines and sidearms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    Mosin discussion seems to come in waves and has a cult like following. Seemingly the cult of the cheap. Rationalizing how carrying a mosin and 'knowing how to use it' will put you in better shape than the guy running an AR. Apparently people running ARs or AKs don't take classes but that mosin comes with a lifetime of small unit tactics and guerilla warfare experience.

I have only one purpose for mosins, it is the rifle version of a liberator pistol. For a small amount of money I can outfit and train a lot of people that otherwise wouldn't have guns NOT as a replacement or 'just as good as' solution to my ARs. So, if I was part of a prepper group where extended family would potentially be brought in I would push for the group to get a mosin and ammo for each possible 'extra person' while each core group member would have high quality carbines and sidearms.
    I've noticed this as well. They sell by the crate full at my local Cabelas every time they have the $99 sale and people just rant & rave over them.

I agree, they are a cheap way to equip a group, but I don't get the Mosin love that seemingly follows these things?

I have a lot of interest in WWI & WWII era weapons and own several, but have yet to get on the Mosin bandwagon. I have buddies who own several Mosins and I've shot many of them, but even if WWII surplus was my only choice, I'd take an M1 or K98 or even an Enfield over one of these things. But you can't get those for $99 either, so I suppose they serve a niche market?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you can find Mosins with good bores/head spacing and then replace a few springs they can be a basic storage rifle should the need a rise.

But the create guns you find at the mass retailers seem to be on the low end quality wise. Its a buyer beware if you don't know what to look for when selecting one for purchase.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 of them, both were $80-90 each. Cheap is right. Ammo cost won't break the bank either. I use the rifle more as a fun range toy than anything else. I might hunt with it if I had nothing else (heck, wouldn't you?). I certainly would NOT use it for HD/SHTF, there are many more and better choices. IMO.

Feedback Score
    I see getting ammo after SHTF would be a problem. Stick with common ammo for SHTF.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I think he makes good points earlier in the video if you can't afford some fancy AR. Better to have a ~$200 Mosin setup then nothing. However if you do have the funds to buy something more modern, and the ammo/parts/accessories to keep it running I think you'd be crazy not to get the best.

Towards the end he did start talking down AR/AKs...yet he didnt speak about any of the advantages of those platforms. Such as it being more compact, lighter, higher magazine capacity, more common parts/ammo...

Feedback Score
    If he can hit what he aims at with it at 200 yards I'll take him and his moisin over a great many of the folks I see at the range with $1500 worth of AR-15 hung all over with lights, lazers, scopes, handles, can openers, and roulette wheels that can't hit a silhouette at 100 yards.

John

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A Mosin is a third-line weapon at best.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast