Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Trigger Skills

Feedback Score

Advanced Trigger Skills

Hey guys,

In another thread in the handgun sub-forum there was a fairly long discussion about a shooter having an issue with shooting a Glock pistol well. This phenomenon is not necessarily that uncommon with shooters who are new to the Glock pistol and while it may not be the fault of the pistol, the Glock definitely has a grip angle that may be foreign to many shooters and this may result in a presentation to punch out that might be more than a bit unfamiliar to them. While the issue boils down a basic fundamentals issue with the inability to maintain proper sight alignment and sight picture during a correct trigger pull process, this issue can be quite confusing for many shooters and hard to overcome without advice or even professional help. In that thread I posted this video that directly addressed the topic of shooting a Glock well.

However that thread actually spun off a bit on a similar tangent in regards to trigger control and finger placement specifically for the Glock. In one of my past video's on my channel I talk about how to run a fast trigger. The intent of the video was to talk about only 1 of my techniques on the fastest way I have found to manipulating a trigger which is also my #1 preference. In any event there was some confusion about various other techniques mentioned and I felt the entire topic could use some clarification or further explanation. Because the various trigger methods may not be pistol specific and can be applied to long guns etc, I felt this was a better place for the discussion.

As with many things, there are often various ways or techniques to accomplish a goal. Also one way might be more advantageous with a given situation while for a different situation a different solution might be better. Well this is no different when it comes to the topic of manipulating a trigger. Depending on several factors such as weapon type, hand size, finger length, trigger type, shooter skill, distance to target, size of target or acceptable hit zone size a shooter may actually run a trigger in a different manner to suit various situations. This is exactly the case for myself. As but a single example I actually run a fine tuned straight pull, straight faced 1911 style trigger in a CQB environment much differently than I would run a hinged, curved faced Glock type trigger in the same or similar situations. The 1911 and I might use a "flip and press" where I would use a different finger placement and break finger contact where with the Glock I might use a "hook and curl" and not break finger contact.

In any event the topic of finger placement and trigger pull can seem to be pretty straight forward to many new shooters, however the more we look into the topic we can actually start to see how deep the rabbit hole can lead us and the myriad of paths that we might be able to take. Confusing, yes, but knowledge is power and this knowledge can hopefully shed some light on issues that we as shooters might have in our own techniques but may have never imagined the reasons for our own shortcomings, or not being able to fix issues that have us baffled. Now I will first and foremost say that NOTHING will replace a quality instructor who can observe, suggest and potentially fix issues on the spot as self remediation in this topic is very difficult. However this topic may at least get us a good understanding of at least what we may now understand that we are doing wrong and possibly point us in the right direction of getting those issued fixed and moving our shooting game to a new level.

This is my latest video on this topic of Advanced Trigger Skills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlAmKLDT0E

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    surf, thanks for posting this. great info, and i found your high-tech diagram to be very helpful. i'm not sure i've seen the mechanics (or kinematics) of the finger going through the trigger pull explained like this. we know what the goal is: a 'straight back trigger pull'; but i seldom see or hear discussions on how each of the different factors like trigger reach, hand size, finger length, which part of the finger, finger placement on the trigger, or trigger geometry play a part in it and how to diagnose or correct it for the individual.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    28 minutes well spent. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Fantastic!

=========
    Suggestion for other videos.

How to decrease wobble so I can take advantage of your shooting at distance video. I wobble off the golf ball so to speak.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by romanowe View Post
    28 minutes well spent. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
    I'll 2nd this! Thank you!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank You, very clear and helpful.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for putting these videos together Surf! I've been trying to improve my trigger control lately, and now I have a list of concrete things to look at / try.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the kind words and hope this can be helpful for many, or at least lead people into thinking about things that may help them formulate their own style or come to their own conclusions. Again I must stress that my thoughts or beliefs are not "The way" or the only way of doing things. Also what works for me, may not work for everyone. These are only my thoughts and experiences and I have also been known to evolve over time to new and different things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm so grateful for your video that I'm breaking out of lurker status to thank you.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Surf,

I'd like to pipe up and say your videos have helped my shooting tremendously. Thank you sir for the time you put into them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast