Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting AK selector modification...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For those with receivers that came with a combloc style optics mount, that selector would interfere with it and probably not be able to be used.

Maybe it's not a major issue since many use an Ultimak style mount and mount optic/accessories on it that way. Still, removing the rail or not would require permanent mod to the receiver.

Feedback Score
    I don't know why anyone would want to remove the side rail from the rifle. I know some do, but I think this is akin to milling off the picatinny rail from the top of an upper.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The happenin'-est AK safety if I do say so myself. This pic is from '88 and I had been doing them for two years before that. This was a custom thing and I never really pushed it or tried to do production on it.

And it does require a slight mod to the receiver.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Krebs made a very slick all-steel Galil-style selector on his KTRs that was as it should be: forward to fire and rear on safe.

I liked the colored dots on the grip over the letters/markings on the reciever if only because even new shooters can remember "Red is dead".

Feedback Score
    Ned - more info?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNog View Post
    Just because a country issues it doesn't make it practical, after all they developed the desert eagle and mako furniture and I wouldn't count those as the crowning achievements of modern small arms. If you try it and it works for you then more power to you, at the end of the day that's all that matters irregardless of what anyone else thinks.
    It works moderately well on the Galils I've used. Its no where near the ergonomics of an AR15 but it's something.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Slide left for "fire" like a MAC-10. It blocks the trigger up in front.

Feedback Score
    I'm not even close to being an SME on this, but I have poured a bit of time into coming up with ideas for a left side AK "ambi" safety. For left-handed shooters it would make the most sense, because they don't have a safety that can be manipulated with their left hand. So for them, it could be quite desirable. But that's a very limited market.

With the proliferation of high quality "finger tab" safeties like the Krebs, I just can't really think of why an AK ambi safety is necessary.

Reason being that, at least for right-handed folks, if you are shooting weak side why not just switch to a mag-hold grip and run the safety with your right hand? I mean, I'm not a fan of a mag hold grip per se, but why not make an exception for weak side shooting with this particular platform? Given the likelihood of having to shoot weak side, I think the slightly increased chance of a KB type injury is an acceptable compromise. Perhaps there's a good reason why this is not the case, I don't know.

Weak side using a mag hold grip and running the safety with the right hand.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    My father-in-law is going to try one of the Saiga Sporter Krebs safeties and run it as a lefty. That way the lever works for the thumb because it is behind the axis of rotation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12