Thread: S&W Revolver Buffs: What's this?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

S&W Revolver Buffs: What's this?

I found out this weekend that I will inherit this revolver when my grandmother passes (hopefully awhile yet to come). Anyone know what it is? It doesn't have any marks on the frame when you open the cylinder like the more modern models. Seems to be in good condition. My great-grandfather carried it when he worked as a security guard (50's I think). Anything you can tell me is appreciated. Thanks!

Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Looks like a S&W Model 10.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think it's a pre-1952 Mod. 10

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    Looks like a S&W Model 10.
    Agreed.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    smith and wesson military and police -the precursor to the more modern model 10. the round front sight and markings all on one side of the barrel are typicl of the 1945-55 era

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    smith and wesson military and police -the precursor to the more modern model 10. the round front sight and markings all on one side of the barrel are typicl of the 1945-55 era
    Yup. Not real common in 2" either.

Nice piece and a great family heirloom. ASH556, if you post the serial number, (with the last couple numbers X'ed), I'll let you know the year, and maybe the month it was shipped.

If you'd like something really neat to go with it, get a factory letter done. It'll give the history of the firearm, the day your gun was shipped, and what configuration it was in. It doesn't look like it's been modified, but if you get the letter, you'll know for sure. Roy Jinks, the longtime S&W historian is still doing them right now, but he won't be around forever.

S&W Factory Letter Request

And make sure it's wiped off and oiled.