Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best brands/components for precision build?

Feedback Score

best brands/components for precision build?

I want to buy or build a long range/precision style AR. Currently I think I'm leaning towards a DD free float rail system, 18 or 20" heavy contour barrel, Gesielle SSA-E trigger, and a Magpul PRS stock. Budget is a round $1500 (the closer I can keep it to $1100-$1200 would be ideal since I'd be able to afford better optics). What are my options and what would you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The heart of any precision rifle is the barrel. With your price range, you're not likely going to be able to get into the top tier barrels like Krieger or Bartlein.

But, for the price, you can't beat WOA, BCM SS410, or Ranier Arms Match barrels. All of these barrels will offer SUB-MOA performance.

My personal preference is for the BCM offerings. My BCM MK12 shoots every bit as accurately as my issued Douglas barreled MK12 Mod1.

No shit .5-.75 MOA 10 shot groups are normal and expected with match grade ammunition. Mine is partial to 77GR SMK's.

Now, nobody can choose barrel length and contour for you. The way you use your rifle will dictate these things. If you live at the bench, then you might as well get a 20'' heavy barrel. If you're going to be walking a lot, a 16'' barrel is VERY capable once you learn the dope and wind. I'm one of the few fans of the 18'' barrel length. Many find that a 16'' does everything they need. I'm used to lugging long guns around, so the 18'' doesn't bother me. Seeing a trend here? It comes down to YOU.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I'll give a +1 to the WOA barrels. They are sub moa in my experience.

I like the PRS, but the UBR is actually a pretty solid choice for an SPR imho. Doesn't feel as bulky and to me, feels more functional. They provide a good checkweld for me and lock up solid.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    What ranges do you plan on shooting it at and what's its' purpose? I ask simply because you can get a Noveske or WOA barrel in 16" length and it will more than likely be what you need. All you lose with the decreased length in reality is some muzzle velocity.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I put this: BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ PRI 12" BLACK Handguard 1/8 Twist on top of a BM lower I already had. Along with the Geissele SSA trigger I put in the lower, I have a top quality precision rifle that allows me to shoot to the best of my limited ability.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My three-gun AR is currently set-up with a 16" Rainier Arms Select barrel, Jard trigger, Magpul UBR, DD BCG, and a Troy TRX 13" fore end plus the lower and upper receiver the price came in at $1,070 plus some shipping. I have gotten sub-moa accuracy with the Rainier barrel and the Jard trigger is smooth. I too like the 18" barrel with the right profile but the 16" would probably be more than suitable...
    Last edited by danish; 12-06-11 at 10:04.

Feedback Score
    I'll be shooting mostly at 300yds (max my local range is). Will I see any noticeable benefit in the slight velocity increase between 16" and 18" barrels at that distance?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nope. You might as well get an SBR at that distance. Seriously.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Nope. You might as well get an SBR at that distance. Seriously.
    I understand the point you are trying to make, but wouldn't the $200 for the tax stamp be better spent on optics/ammo?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lengthofpull View Post
    I understand the point you are trying to make, but wouldn't the $200 for the tax stamp be better spent on optics/ammo?
    Yeah. I wasn't actually suggesting to get an SBR, just making the point that you don't need a monster barrel to shoot at 300.

For your purposes, I would go with a 16'' BCM SS410 with whatever rail floats your boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast