Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hornady 5.56mm 55gr GMX

Feedback Score
    Anybody done any hunting or testing with these or the 70 grain?

The 55s were still on the shelf at my LGS. May pick some up to load for hunting.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Did we find out any more on these? They're a great price and I cant find my preferred bullet anywhere..
    "When the time for performance has arrived, the time for preparation had passed."
    -Thomas S. Monson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    Did we find out any more on these? They're a great price and I cant find my preferred bullet anywhere..
    I was at a Hornady shoot we did for LE, and we shot their 55gr GMX through auto glass and on bare gel. It performed wonderfully in both mediums... very consistent. Hornady is very cautious about recommending it for general purpose as it crushes barriers, but if that's what you want it's a fantastic round for it. I'm going to be using their 70gr stuff in my 10.5" once it's finished.

Their factory loadings are restricted to LE, but if you're rolling your own, I wouldn't have a second thought about using either the 55gr or 70gr projectiles.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Jim, What can you say on the performance of the 70gr GMX versus either the 55 GMX or the 70gr TSX?
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Jim, What can you say on the performance of the 70gr GMX versus either the 55 GMX or the 70gr TSX?
    I haven't seen much test data on the 70gr TSX recently, but if you can find some, you can compare it to Hornady's LE loads here:
    http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ri...mx-tap-barrier

The bullet composition is 95% identical, so performance should be nearly identical with equal twist rates and velocities, etc.

Feedback Score
    This is what I have for home defense and vehicular carry,it matches perfectly with 55 gr xm193 and my Eotech,I have pics of what it did to a rabbit (not a perp I know) at 110 yds if interested,it dropped so fast I thought I missed

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    I haven't seen much test data on the 70gr TSX recently, but if you can find some, you can compare it to Hornady's LE loads here:

The bullet composition is 95% identical, so performance should be nearly identical with equal twist rates and velocities, etc.
    Thank you for the links. The gel shots appear to be impressive and quite similar between the 55gr and 70gr bullet weights. The 55gr BG gel block shot appears to be VERY similar to the 62gr TBBC and Black Hills 50gr TSX BG gel blocks I've seen.

I have two 20 round boxes of the 5.56 Superformance 55gr GMX on the way.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 06-20-14 at 20:29.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    This is what I have for home defense and vehicular carry,it matches perfectly with 55 gr xm193 and my Eotech,I have pics of what it did to a rabbit (not a perp I know) at 110 yds if interested,it dropped so fast I thought I missed
    I would like to see those pix.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    I assume that they approve it for a short gas system since that's the test barrel that they used. I'll probably send them an email for clarification.

They also offer a .223 version per their catalog.
    I wouldn't assume anything with Hornady and their Superformance rounds. I assumed that because I read every single word on the box and it said nothing about recommended gas systems, the ammunition I bought would be okay for my carbine. A little internet research after the fact and an email into Hornady showed otherwise. I was glad my retailer took it back because Hornady never responded to my email asking if their was anything I could do about the $100 investment I made in ammunition which I could not use. What really gets me is that there is still not even a warning on their webpage for the 75 gr. 5.56, it only appears on the page for the 55 gr.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    I wouldn't assume anything with Hornady and their Superformance rounds. I assumed that because I read every single word on the box and it said nothing about recommended gas systems, the ammunition I bought would be okay for my carbine. A little internet research after the fact and an email into Hornady showed otherwise. I was glad my retailer took it back because Hornady never responded to my email asking if their was anything I could do about the $100 investment I made in ammunition which I could not use. What really gets me is that there is still not even a warning on their webpage for the 75 gr. 5.56, it only appears on the page for the 55 gr.
    Yeah. Even on a 14.5" middy, plan on stepping up buffer weight and possibly action spring strength. And I would still only rec the .223 version.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast