Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kindle as a survival tool

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Kindle as a survival tool

Kind of a screwy idea but what do you think of incorporating a Kindle as a survival item? I got one for Christmas this year and am realizing the benefits.
    The Kindle is small, flat, weighs almost nothing and can hold 3,000 books. The battery lasts for a month or two, and with a good quality solar charger, could go on indefinitely.
    You can purchase almost all of the top survival books via the Kindle and can upload and view pdf files so you could create topo maps, though they would be in B&W. The psychological value of having one would be good too, having classic novels or other fiction books, games to play, and a host of other books that could possibly help in a long term situation (cookbooks and gardening books come to mind).
    The only drawbacks I can see is that the screen isn't lit, so some type of light would be needed to view in the dark and that no one seems to make a quality, rugged case for them yet.
    http://www.pho-tac.com/
    Capturing the Essence of Tactical Reality

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Interesting Idea

I got a Kindle for Christmas as well. Ive down loaded virtually everything survival and military Amazon has to offer onto the kindle. I also have CD's with the same stuff Ive down loaded as back up.

I like the kindle yet have grave concerns regarding re-charging it and durability in a rough situation. FYI I had to replace my Kindle a week ago after it started to flake out on me. No issues with the new one yet.

Great way to store tons of data and not have to store the hard bound books. Hope you like yours aswell.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yes, durability is a serious concern as I see it. Good luck so far with mine (8 months) which included a 3 day backpacking trip. There also is the "EMP" issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use my kindle for this as well. Also have a portable solar charger for it.
    The battery life on the Black and White version is quite long, compared to the new color version.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Kindles (the B&W versions at least) are very fragile. Break-em-by-setting-a-cup-of-coffee-down-on-them-accidentally fragile. My dad did that.

I trashed one by dropping a lint roller on it from less than 18" up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a similiar tablet that I also use mainly for data storage of manuals/survival info and angry birds too of course. The main problem I see with using it as a survival tool is exposure to the elements. You dont want to get it wet and they arent made very tough either. Reviews on most tablets will show that they are easily broken if dropped/mishandled. Battery life is another issue especially for me with the colored screen. Continued use of mine will only get me 2-3 hours before it needs charging. But as previously stated, a solar powered outlet will fix this. While it is a great tool for hoarding survival info, I doubt MINE would last long in an actual survival situation.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Which charger

Ninja what charger are you using and where did you get it.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I just got my sons black and white model after he picked a Fire. Downloaded Cody Lundins book, pretty good read that is not your typical presentation of information, which I like.
    USMC MSGT Ret. 1371

SEMPER PARATUS Certified AR-15 Armorer

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton

Feedback Score
    I have had a kindle for about 8 months, standard B&W model, have travelled all around the country with it,air and auto. Its held up exceedingly well, been dropped twice onto marble floor , (while in its cover) and no damage at all, battery life is fine; have been really happy with it...now to find a solar charger !

Feedback Score
    It's a good concept, but I'd still want some form of backup. Hopefully you'd have all of those books on a computer somewhere too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast