Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Use It or Lose It - Hearing Protection

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    If you had only popped a few of the right vitamins in the following 24 hours. If I had known on that tank range in 1994 what I know today.
    I wish I coulda read your post back in 1998.

Feedback Score
    I just started shooting and knew to double up (ear plus and ear muffs). But, I just grabbed some muffs off the Academy shelf that seemed decent. Can anyone recommend a really good pair of muffs, cost not being an issue (can't put a cost on one's hearing)?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I always double and always have unless I'm at a rimfire only range, then I just wear muffs.

Not only does doubling up make training/practice safer, it's only more pleasant not having to deal with as much of the noise, especially when guns are going off on either side of you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    Made this public service announcement style video on hearing protection and thought I'd pass it along.

Video here.
    Great post and video ptmccain, thanks for sharing.

I use muffs and plugs because hearing loss seems to run in my family.

Not trying to change the subject but what do our troops in battle do to protect their hearing? Anyone know?
    "Never confuse movement with action."
    Ernest Hemingway

Join the NRA - protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I always double and always have unless I'm at a rimfire only range, then I just wear muffs.

Not only does doubling up make training/practice safer, it's only more pleasant not having to deal with as much of the noise, especially when guns are going off on either side of you.
    Wish I had done that before I felt like I had a cotton ball in my ears at all times. I double up on public rangesperiod, and 90% of my shooting is suppressed. Never know who will line up next to you and with what.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by H3br3wHamm3r81 View Post
    I just started shooting and knew to double up (ear plus and ear muffs). But, I just grabbed some muffs off the Academy shelf that seemed decent. Can anyone recommend a really good pair of muffs, cost not being an issue (can't put a cost on one's hearing)?
    Sordins with the gel cups have gotten some great recommendations if you're not worried about spending the money.

For me i just use Surefire earpro or peltor 6S.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 35percent View Post
    Sordins with the gel cups have gotten some great recommendations if you're not worried about spending the money.

For me i just use Surefire earpro or peltor 6S.
    I got my most recent and what I feel to be most damaging amount of hearing loss and ringing with the surefire earpro; having a sig 228 and a MP5 muzzle next to my ear for two separate strings of fire during qual didnt help any.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    I got my most recent and what I feel to be most damaging amount of hearing loss and ringing with the surefire earpro; having a sig 228 and a MP5 muzzle next to my ear for two separate strings of fire during qual didnt help any.
    They do have their limitations, and obviously close range it's going to be worse. You also have to make sure they're seated securely and pushed in tight to your ear. Most of the time when I'm on the line I'm at least a few feet away from each shooter, if it's going to be closer I'll toss on a set or earmuffs.

Feedback Score
    Tinnitus is one of the main reasons why I'm investing in a suppressed setup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksterr View Post
    Tinnitus is one of the main reasons why I'm investing in a suppressed setup.
    Just remember that rifle suppressors aren't hearing safe.

And it still won't do anything about the guy next to you with a comp.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast