Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK stock options/questions

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

AK stock options/questions

I have a ban era Norinco MAK90 that bought off a friend for cheap back around 1994 or 95.

I don't know much about them and shamefully kind of beat the hell out of this thing for many years.

Fast forward to the present, I've taken an interest in refurbishing this rifle as a spare SHTF/fun gun so I went about ordering all the 922R compliance parts so I could refinish, install a flash hider and change out the thumbhole stock for something longer to better fit my orangutan arm length. There in lies the problem.

Once I removed the old crappy thumbhole it became apparent that my little MAK90 was an underfolder AK in it's pre-import life. There is no top tang on the rear trunnion and the holes are there in the sides of the receiver but were covered by the thumbhole stock.

I know the underfolder configuration would increase it's value but, I really would prefer a longer, fixed option just to make it more comfortable for my arm length.

Do I have any real options short of changing out the receiver?

Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    for a standard stock, you may be screwed. But there is this:

http://riflestocks.com/store/product61.html

tang needs to be cut off, but since yours is not there, you should just be able to install it. Any of the ace modular stocks can be attatched to it. You can even put in a folding mechanism if you'd like.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't think that mount would work, an under folder trunnion won't have the bolt holes to bolt that adapter block in.

OP you may as well install an under folder stock, the holes are in the receiver and you don't really have a lot of options other than welding them up and redrilling for a fixed trunnion. Replacing the receiver would be even more work - I don't think it would be worth it for the amount of effort it would require. An under folder would be a bolt in affair.
    Last edited by Toyoland66; 12-17-11 at 11:33.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoland66 View Post
    I don't think that mount would work, an under folder trunnion won't have the bolt holes to bolt that adapter block in.

OP you may as well install an under folder stock, the holes are in the receiver and you don't really have a lot of options other than welding them up and redrilling for a fixed trunnion. Replacing the receiver would be even more work - I don't think it would be worth it for the amount of effort it would require. An under folder would be a bolt in affair.
    I realize that, and I know you're right.

I'm just in denial I guess. I have shot underfolders before and don't care for them, but in the end it will make it a bit more valuable and it's by far the simplest fix.

Do you know if there are any USA made underfolder kits available? I'll be losing a few 922r parts by going with a foreign made underfolder and I would prefer to not replace any more internals than necessary to achieve my USA parts count.

Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I realize that, and I know you're right.

I'm just in denial I guess. I have shot underfolders before and don't care for them, but in the end it will make it a bit more valuable and it's by far the simplest fix.

Do you know if there are any USA made underfolder kits available? I'll be losing a few 922r parts by going with a foreign made underfolder and I would prefer to not replace any more internals than necessary to achieve my USA parts count.

Thanks!!
    I agree - underfolders look super cool but suck to shoot. I can't recall ever seeing an American made underfolder out in the wild. You can pretty much get to half of the 922r requirements by using an American made mag or mag parts. Go with a pistol grip plus a FCG set to get to 4 of 6 parts. Add a gas piston if you want to deal with that...

I think the hardest part might be finding an underfolder trunnion. Copes has underfolders with everything you need except the trunnion. I've seen a few American underfolding trunnions out there but can't remember where.

If you plan on replacing the receiver it will be very expensive. Welding the holes up will be expensive as well.

Spooky

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Chinese with the 1.6 mm receiver doesn't use a trunnion for the under folder.

You need a single lug under folder like a Romanian or Bulgarian. Apex has both.

You will need 6 us parts for 922r.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a US made flash hider, and a Tapco G2 trigger group already so if I use a US pistol grip and some US mags I'll be ok on my parts count.

I just didn't want to have to rely on the US mags to meet my parts count. I have more than a dozen surplus mags that are good quality and reliable so I don't want to rely on mags for my total parts count if not necessary.

I'll look into the apex underfolder though, thanks!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I have a US made flash hider, and a Tapco G2 trigger group already so if I use a US pistol grip and some US mags I'll be ok on my parts count.

I just didn't want to have to rely on the US mags to meet my parts count. I have more than a dozen surplus mags that are good quality and reliable so I don't want to rely on mags for my total parts count if not necessary.

I'll look into the apex underfolder though, thanks!!
    US handguards and you're golden.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sounds good.

I'll check into the US underfolder a little more, I think that's gonna be the best solution in the end.

Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't know of any US underfolder set ups, at least, no quality ones that are worth your time.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast