Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a .308 AR Precision Rifle

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Considering a .308 AR Precision Rifle

Hey Guys.

I sold my Remington 700 PSS .308 a couple of years ago when I began to get heavier into AR's. I have recently been desiring to pick up another .308 precision type rifle, but am leaning more towards an AR pattern.

I have been looking at the LMT MWS, Noveske N6, and Larue OBR all in the 18" versions and wondered how these compared to each other. All three manufacturers all have great reputations and all are pretty similarly priced. I've been leaning toward the Noveske or MWS and most heavily toward the LMT with it's military service.

Having no time on any of these three rifles nor really any experience with precision type auto loaders, I was hoping to glean some insight into these three rifles and anything I should consider when making a decision from those of you with more experience with these rifles.

Are there any other makes/models I should consider along with these?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    DPMS .308's have a good reputation for their accuracy. You're talking about a precision rifle and not a fighting rifle, but I'm sure I'll get flamed for my recommendation. I have 2 of them and they are accurate.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    DPMS .308's have a good reputation for their accuracy. You're talking about a precision rifle and not a fighting rifle, but I'm sure I'll get flamed for my recommendation. I have 2 of them and they are accurate.
    DPMS is junk, and the OP didn't ask about DPMS....

OP, I don't own any of the rifles that you mention, but the one thing I would suggest it that you should decide which pattern of magazines you want to use, and that will narrow down the options somewhat.

If you want KAC pattern magazines (one of my criteria for the .308 AR that I want to buy) that narrows it down to the LMT or the Larue. If you want Armalite pattern magazines, the Noveske would be the way to go.

Feedback Score
    A couple things to consider:

1. SHOT is in January. Who knows what kinds of new goodies will come out from the companies you have mentioned? Maybe others will get in the 308 AR game as well.

2. Wait for the Colt 901 to come out. Right now it just has a 16" barrel (and from what I have read a proprietary barrel nut) which probably isn't what you want, but I am sure third parties will figure out how to put a nice long stainless barrel in them. Then you'd have a monolithic .308 AR made by a known, quality manufacturer for likely less than you'd spend on a LMT MWS or a Noveske N6

Just a few things to consider....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra;1167294[B
    ]DPMS is junk, and the OP didn't ask about DPMS....
    [/B]

OP, I don't own any of the rifles that you mention, but the one thing I would suggest it that you should decide which pattern of magazines you want to use, and that will narrow down the options somewhat.

If you want KAC pattern magazines (one of my criteria for the .308 AR that I want to buy) that narrows it down to the LMT or the Larue. If you want Armalite pattern magazines, the Noveske would be the way to go.
    The original poster said

Are there any other makes/models I should consider along with these?
    You said
    I don't own any of the rifles that you mention,
    Let's try to stay on an even keel here. He wants advice and not innuendo.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Let's try to stay on an even keel here. He wants advice and not innuendo.
    Fine.

I don't own any of the rifles he mentioned (and I didn't want him to think that I did,) but I did have a constructive tidbit for him to think about, unlike the DPMS recommendation.

DPMS rifles are known to have serious issues (in one case, a friend of mine, and a fellow marksmanship instructor at the time, had a shooter with a brand new DPMS on the range. The rifle began having serious issues with the trigger not resetting after about 500 rounds. After taking the rifle down, he noticed aluminum chips in the fire control group, and located the source of the problem in the upper receiver. The bolt carrier was biting into the upper receiver an taking pretty huge chunks out of it, which were falling into the lower, and jamming things up) and aren't really known for being all that accurate in the grand scheme of things....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    Fine.

I don't own any of the rifles he mentioned (and I didn't want him to think that I did,) but I did have a constructive tidbit for him to think about, unlike the DPMS recommendation.

DPMS rifles are known to have serious issues (in one case, a friend of mine, and a fellow marksmanship instructor at the time, had a shooter with a brand new DPMS on the range. The rifle began having serious issues with the trigger not resetting after about 500 rounds. After taking the rifle down, he noticed aluminum chips in the fire control group, and located the source of the problem in the upper receiver. The bolt carrier was biting into the upper receiver an taking pretty huge chunks out of it, which were falling into the lower, and jamming things up) and aren't really known for being all that accurate in the grand scheme of things....
    Was it a .308?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Was it a .308?
    Yes, it was.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    Yes, it was.
    That would definitely be a problem and one of which I haven't heard before.

BTW, I don't work for dpms.

And since I bought my scar 17 I'm thinking of selling at least one of my 2 dpms .308 rifles. Maybe both. I have too many .308 rifles.

I still stand by my accuracy claim.

Feedback Score
    I would throw in a vote for the LMT (proud owner) but the Colt is going to be worth waiting for. I am not sure if my LMT could be called precision, possibly. KAC, Larue, I would love to have one or both but it is out of my price league right now.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast