Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a .308 AR Precision Rifle

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

DPMS is not a consideration.

Actually the magazine issue is a good point and I didn't realize the Noveske was not compatible with the 7.62 PMag. I'd prefer the KAC pattern mags.

If I decide to go with the MWS it would be with the 18" 5R SS Barrel. The 5R barrel is pretty pricey. Would you consider it's performance on par with that of the Noveske or Larue?

The Colt is interesting for sure. I hadn't really heard much about it. I will not be purchasing immediately (it'll definitely be after the first of the year if not closer to after tax time), so I'll have some time to watch the options with the Colt develop.

Any other insights, suggestions, etc. you can share are certainly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    I have an 18SS barrelled MWS and have shot a Larue OBR. Both are awesome guns. I didn't shoot the OBR for groups, but I think they come with an accuracy guarantee? I've shot the 18SS barrel once for groups and it was about 1MOA with 10 shot groups.

I think the OBR is a better looking gun, the machining is awesome. I don't like the 20MOA rise on the rail. It just tweaks the rail/comb relationship enough that to me it is odd. It does allow the scope to be really low mounted, but then you can't get BUIS under the scope, if you need BUIS. The LMT is maybe a bit heavier, but nothing that can't be managed.

I think either needs a brake like a surefire or a Battlecomp. The OBR had a Surefire and I put a BABC on my LMT. That helped tame the recoil.

I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle. While the LMT is not a pretty as the OBR, when you drop the bolt on the LMT it just has that sound that just exudes quality. ARs go 'clink-ping' when you drop the bolt. The LMT goes "Click-swooosh-thump".

Can't go wrong either way.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Mega MA Ten

If you're wanting a precision rig you can do your research and decide exactly what you want in a rifle and them build it yourself. Mega provides not only an amazing platform to work with but provides for the greatest use of components. You can use Armalite or DPMS pattern components but still use PMAGs.
    I have a thread here about my build with my review. The monolithic upper is phenomenal. It's a stout upper to say the least.
    I digitally inserted Jaba the Hutt into the original Star Wars-Eric Cartman

Feedback Score
    IF I could make a counterpoint to SGTButt. Not saying the 'build-up' model is the wrong way to go, but I don't think it is as easy as doing it in AR15s.

308ARs just seem to be more finiky, and there seems to be a lot more variation in the parts used, I guess because there is no TDP or MIL-SPEC standard to reference. My guess is that 1:50 or maybe even 1:100 ARs is in the 308AR pattern? I think the overall market for parts is just not as mature as it is for AR15s.

I looked at building up a rifle, but if it doesn't work- where do you go to get it tweaked right? The other is that if it is a build-up and you put it together yourself, what is its resale value?

Just a thought.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    From MyCold DeadHand is absolutely right. With AR15s you literaly can buy a single part from as many manufacturers as there are parts on a 15. You can throw that whole conglomeration together and have a gun that will most likely shoot. Reliability, accuracy, asthetics........... Not gonna go there.

Witht the 308 build it is an extensive project and I had the privalege of doing over a year worth of research. Damn other projects taking precedence.

But it is definitely a challanging endeavour. Cold Dead Hand pointed out a very important point on the tweeking aspect, there really isn't anyone to ask. For me I would have to call multiple different Customer Service reps and even then be stuck with no difinitive answer. Luckily it hasn't happened. I also do read up on sh.com quite a bit. There was one guy with a Mega/JP build that was causing problems from the get go. The guys over there were able to point him in the right direction and he got the issue fixed.

Do think over the build option, but not lightly, think very serious about it if it's an option of yours. Would I do mine again? Absolutely, 6.5 has been calling my name for a while now and within 3 years or so I hope to be good enough with my 308 to justify a 6.5CM.

Here's my thread for ya

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93647
    I digitally inserted Jaba the Hutt into the original Star Wars-Eric Cartman

Feedback Score
    Gardner Precision (GAP) also makes an excellent AR-308 and can build one to your specs. Similar price to LaRue or LMT.

Over at Sniper's Hide they come highly recommended in the same category as LMT or LaRue.

Those 3 would seem to suit your needs for precision.
    Last edited by TXBob; 12-29-11 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post
    Georgia Precision also makes an excellent AR-308 and can build one to your specs. Similar price to LaRue or LMT.

Over at Sniper's Hide they come highly recommended in the same category as LMT or LaRue.

Those 3 would seem to suit your needs for precision.
    If you are looking to go the semi-custom buidl-up route, that I think is the way to go. You can offer them the parts that they will put together and then you have someone to work with if the gun doesn't preform. Plus, even if you use an unusual array of parts, it is still a GAP gun, which is well thought of.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Between the three, I would choose the LaRue PredatAR with an 18" barrel due to it's lite weight. In my opinion, in regards to accuracy between LaRue and Noveske, it's a win-win with either. I prefer the IonBond barrel treatment on the LaRue. If not for that, it would come down to a coin toss.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm still leaning toward the LMT with it's monolithic rail and barrel options (ease of changing). I'm also considering a .260 Rem or 6.5CM barrel instead of the .308.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Last year I was in Kansas City and stopped by GAP. They pulled one of the gunsmiths out and he gave me the tour of the place and we talked 7.62 precision rifles for quite awhile. He told me he preferred to use the DPMS receivers as a base to complete the builds. I own nothing by DPMS except 1 ambi safety but as has been stated above DPMS .308's seem to be a better option than their .556's which isn't an option at all. As far as accuracy I can remember years ago when DPMS S.S. barrels were well thought of from an accuracy stand point in .556.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast