Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a .308 AR Precision Rifle

Feedback Score
    I know this is the precision rifle section but I am interested in a .308 ar platform battle rifle that is not a precision rifle. I want to get a .308 m4. I don't want to pay obr prices for battle rifle accuracy.

Feedback Score
    FAL. Many threads state that.

Feedback Score
    Any one have any thoughts on the SIG 716?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lengthofpull View Post
    A couple things to consider:

1. SHOT is in January. Who knows what kinds of new goodies will come out from the companies you have mentioned? Maybe others will get in the 308 AR game as well.

2. Wait for the Colt 901 to come out. Right now it just has a 16" barrel (and from what I have read a proprietary barrel nut) which probably isn't what you want, but I am sure third parties will figure out how to put a nice long stainless barrel in them. Then you'd have a monolithic .308 AR made by a known, quality manufacturer for likely less than you'd spend on a LMT MWS or a Noveske N6

Just a few things to consider....
    predatobr?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    predatobr?
    I wouldn't consider that a precision rig. The hierarchy of precision from larue would probably be

1) OBR
    2) PredatOBR
    3) PredatAR

While the predatobr is a nice cross between the two, I'm 100% with the performance and accuracy of my OBR. It still trumps my AIAW that I had. Now if I had the funds for both, I would have both.
    Last edited by C45P312; 01-27-12 at 06:25.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

PredatOBR not Precision?

Am I missing something here...? Its the same barrel and gas system as the OBR without the 20 MOA upper (can get that in a mount if needed). Is it the lighter overall weight? Its offered in 16" and 18" variants...

Am I missing something obvious...if not I think it would be a fine precision rifle!

help me out.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewarden View Post
    Am I missing something here...? Its the same barrel and gas system as the OBR without the 20 MOA upper (can get that in a mount if needed). Is it the lighter overall weight? Its offered in 16" and 18" variants...

Am I missing something obvious...if not I think it would be a fine precision rifle!

help me out.
    To me the OBR was designed and built as a precision rifle. Just throwing the OBR barrel onto a predatar chassis doesn't make it a precision rifle. I'd really like to see end-users shooting it before making final decisions though. I don't know what engineering feats are put into the OBR versus the Predatobr. Time will tell I guess.
    Last edited by C45P312; 01-27-12 at 18:51.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo@RB1 View Post
    To me the OBR was designed and built as a precision rifle. Just throwing the OBR barrel onto a predatar chassis doesn't make it a precision rifle. I'd really like to see end-users shooting it before making final decisions though. I don't know what engineering feats are put into the OBR versus the Predatobr. Time will tell I guess.
    To a degree, I wish they made the goldilock rifle more of a goldilocks rifle - went with an intermediate contour, and sold versions with two options - the LW gas block or the adjustable; 0MOA cant mount or a ~20MOA mount, and had the barrel somewhere in between. For the minor weight difference, I'm inclined to just pick up a used OBR instead.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    This question came up during Kyle Defoor's advanced carbine class a week ago. I'd recommend asking him the the SME forum.

Feedback Score

long range AR

I went with the LWRC Repr in .308....yes, its a piston system but you can turn the gas system off so the bolt does not recipricate making it as accurate in my opinion as any rifle out there...no moving BCM.

It isnt cheap but its built like a tank and has some pretty cutting edge technology on it. Big plus is that it was made by a company that specializes in and ONLY makes short stroke gas piston guns. Takes me all of 10 minutes to clean and thats pretty much just the barrel.

Good luck.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast