Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Suppressed AR vs. Standard AR Suppressed Results

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Did you not open the port up on the 10.3"? I think it's a mistake not to in my opinion.
    I think for a dedicated suppressed gun, opening up the port would ruin it's purpose.

IMHO, for a dedicated suppressor host .056''/8'' is perfect, for a SEMI-dedicated host .062'' would be better.

I need to break my other rifles in a little more so the ports erode a bit. Or I might just have 'em opened up a little.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Also, IG, what do you mean when you say that the A5 isn't for everyone?
    I'll echo Gunz. The A5 requires a little more money to buy the RE and Buffer/spring. But a simple heavier buffer can help most guys in the short run.

On a defense gun you want to run well over the long haul... a rifle buffer or A5 is the way to go.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Well I will not be shooting the other two ARs suppressed very often, so I think I will go the H3 route. For the price of 2 A5 assemblies I can get another flashlight.

I am not ruling anything out yet though.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    I thought that the correct port size for a 14.5" or 16" barrel on a carbine gas system was .061" and .063" respectively, how is it that the cut down DD barrel has a .058" gas port? Or am I not understanding something?

Put it this way:

Given a 14.5" barrel with a certain port size, the same port with a 16" barrel will deliver more gas.

To keep the total gas delivery the same, the 16" should have a smaller port.

If a .0625" port is optimum for a 14.5" barrel, something smaller like .060" will be optimum for a 16".
    Last edited by Clint; 12-23-12 at 09:25.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great post Euro!

I've been interested in doing a similar project for quite some time now. I really like the idea...but I'm still a little concerned I would run into issues unless I was running full-powered Ammo and the suppressor all the time. My plan was to only cut to 11.5", use the A5, and the enhanced carrier though. It was my line of thinking that this would allow me more leeway for running unsuppressed, and .223 powered loads.

I'd be very curious to see how an A5 buffer system and LMT enhanced carrier would factor into your dedicated upper's performance.
    Last edited by MikeCLeonard; 12-14-11 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I wonder if the LMT Enhanced Carrier (not bolt) would do anything to bleed off the gas?

Also, IG, what do you mean when you say that the A5 isn't for everyone?
    Yes, it will bleed off some I think.

C4

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Yes, it will bleed off some I think.

C4
    I'm thinking of a similar build as his (12.5" suppressed with standard GP size) and was wondering if the LMT Enhanced carrier + Vltor A5 would make it a much smoother shooting gun without sacrificing reliability?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I'm thinking of a similar build as his (12.5" suppressed with standard GP size) and was wondering if the LMT Enhanced carrier + Vltor A5 would make it a much smoother shooting gun without sacrificing reliability?
    It certainly wouldn't hurt, but would NOT be the same as using a Noveske SB or a dedicated (suppressed) barrel.

C4

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    It certainly wouldn't hurt, but would NOT be the same as using a Noveske SB or a dedicated (suppressed) barrel.

C4
    Gotcha. Didn't think it would, but I wouldn't want to go dedicated on the 12.5" anyway. I've decided on the Ops Suppressors, and I hear they don't cause as much backpressure as end mount suppressors...don't know if that's true or not?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    As an alternative to a dedicated upper, what about a dedicated suppressed BCG to go along with the suppressor?

The special BCG would offset the increase in gas drive caused by the suppressor.

The combination of the special BGC and suppressor would be able to drop into most standard uppers and retain the same cyclic rate.
    Last edited by Clint; 12-15-11 at 00:15.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast