Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosin Wholesale

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blasternank View Post
    I think I am going to pick one of these up. I just read an article in one of the gun magazines I get that says they will make a great truck gun because they can take a beating and you won't have to worry about beating it up as many already are and at the price you pay you won't feel bad if you scratch it up or beat it up a little.
    Just make sure you strip it all down and clean it up well, otherwise, they tend to get a little finicky.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Just make sure you strip it all down and clean it up well, otherwise, they tend to get a little finicky.
    How far down should I strip it?

I can barely wait to use this as a stage gun at one of my three gun matches this summer.

Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 01-28-12 at 23:04.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Is there any difference, other than the cosmetics, between the round and hex receivers?

Feedback Score
    Not really much difference functionally, soviet russia cut machining cost by going to the simpler round receiver. If you can find one for a decent price the m44 or whatever version carbines are a little more user friendly to most people just because there not 7ft long like a normal mosin.
    Last edited by anthony1; 01-29-12 at 05:02.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    How far down should I strip it?

I can barely wait to use this as a stage gun at one of my three gun matches this summer.

Pat
    Pat the good news is that there aren't that many parts to strip and all you need to do so is common sense.

Usually what I do is to strip down all the parts, clean them up in a bath of lacquer thinner/mineral spirits/solvent/etc and then re-oil them immediately.

I also clean out the bore and re oil it as well.
    And please ensure that you clean out the chamber area really well, and the lug recesses for good measure. The majority of issues that people have with this platform is due to lack of attention to the chamber; what happens is that the solidified crud and cosmoline start flowing out and it gets in the way.

Last time I got a Mosin, I found that after cleaning it up it was still a little finicky, but after some lube and repeated cycling of the action, the gun "re-broke in" and now its fine.

FWIW, I own two 91/30s. I now prefer the pre-war ones. It just seems that since everything is nice and milled out on it, it hangs up less and the stripper clips actually are usable with it. On the wartime ones, the clip guides aren't fully milled out and it pinches either side of the clip making insertion a bit annoying. Rimlock also seems to happen, even if you stage the rounds in the clip so as to not seize. It's weird. I load up my pre-war one the exact same way, and it's all smooth sailing.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 02-03-12 at 14:07.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12