Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Backup" Rifles?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I buy ar15's in different configurations and other types of guns because I want them. I buy cases of ammunition because I figure it won't get any cheaper.

The fact that I have enough for my kids and grandkids to come over and defend themselves with me in case things go to hell is a bonus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMBA-LEE View Post

This is civilian street reality.
    "Civilian street reality" based on what we have experienced in the country to date. (Well except for Revolutionary and Civil Wars) I for one wouldn't depend on this after a major total economic collapse which is a real threat. Think Katrina in every part of the country at the same time. The implications are unthinkable. IF the military is able to maintain order, IF we are able to move to some other form of currency quickly, IF the power grid remains up (or isn't off for more than a week) and IF water flows, IF food distribution continues as normal (or isn't completely disrupted for more than a few days to a week), IF civil war doesn't ensue (we aren't too far from it now), then I agree. Since we've never experienced anything like a total economic collapse in modern history, it shall remain The big IF! And that's only regarding economic collapse not any other threat such as EMP or major terrorist attack in multiple cities at once like DC and NYC. Just one nuke in a major city and it would be devastating beyond belief or comprehension. I will hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Worse case I over prepared and over planned. Much better than the reverse which is unthinkable to me.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 12-17-11 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    Food for thought.

The Marlin 795.

I realize it is "only a .22".

That being said, if you are handing out rifles to the untrained, here is a rifle that is easy to get people up to speed on quickly.

No recoil to worry about
    Cheap ammo to train the people who arrive uprepared
    Very light weight
    quiet
    Doubles as a small game getter
    They are very easy to shoot well

With a 795, a few 10 round mags and a brick of .22s, each person could be up to speed pretty darn fast.

I have a pair of 795s, one with Tech sights (peep sights that resemble M1A/M14/AR15 sights) and the second with a nice little Weaver K4 on it. Both are superbly accurate. They are substantially more accurate than any 10-22 I have ever owned with a stock barrel.

It makes sense to have a couple ARs around, but rifles like the 795 have merit as loaner guns.

Feedback Score
    double post.....
    Last edited by Lost River; 12-17-11 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm a huge fan of having spare guns. If you have a part break or wind up with a weapon in the evidence locker you are going to be wishing you had an identical gun back at home.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    My wife and I each have 2 M4s. We have a Recce and a carbine each.

We also have 2 "extra" M4s just in case. They are more of a loner rifle then anything else. Very plain set ups but still a good quality rifle.

That is not to include our other assorted rifles.

We also each have 2 Glocks (22s and 23s).

"Two is one and One is None"
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Think of the vacations, big screen tv, new every two German cars, remodeled kitchen, leather furniture, boat and other pleasantries that they have decided to enjoy in leu of being responsible and stocking a few provisions aside. Think of how you would have LOVED to own all those things but couldn't bring yourself to be that childish and reckless with your families well being.

FWIW, the bible is full of instances where people were warned and warned and warned that they should prepare for calamitous times, and when they chose not to, God allowed them to reap what they sowed. Those who survived learned a valuable lesson. Noah was ridiculed for his entire adult life for building the arch and warning everyone about the flood. Didn't they come pounding on the door as the water rose up and it was too late? Some things to think about.

If people choose to be arrogant, ignorant, corrupt, cowardly, childish, superficial yuppies, then I will let them see first hand the results of their decision. And I won't feel bad, because I have tried to warn them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

In the theme of this thread here is quote I recently read on mormonpreparedness.com:

(Note: I am not a Mormon, nor am I trying to turn this into a religious debate so don't derail the thread)

"Church members are responsible for their own spiritual and temporal well-being. Blessed with the gift of agency, they have the privilege of setting their own course solving their own problems, and striving to become self-reliant. Members do this under the inspiration of the Lord and with the labor of thier own hands.

Self-reliance is the ability, commitment, and effort to provide the necessities of life for self and family. As members become self-reliant, they are also better able to serve and care for others."
    Pretty sound logic if you ask me.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    What I like for an "extra" rifle is an AR-look-a-like .22 rimfire set up like your M4 = same red dot sights, forward grip, adjustable stock, hi-cap mags, etc..
    Last edited by SIMBA-LEE; 02-12-12 at 11:52.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Tough decision on allowing others to 'come to your house" b/c they were ill prepared, but that's your decision.

2 PSA M4, or SKS, or WASR should fit the bill and maybe 2 Mosins on top of that.

Or just Mosins and Mossberg 500s....
    Last edited by Caeser25; 12-19-11 at 15:41.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123