Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Backup" Rifles?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

"Backup" Rifles?

I recently got my 2nd AR, a really incredible LMT that I LOVE! It goes great with the Daniel Defense I already had - so thats 2 really good quality ARs and I've got a small assortment of spare parts that will work with either.

Lately I've been thinking - should I buy another AR? Maybe 2 more? 3 more? I have a small group of friends/family that I think would definitely show up at my house if the SHTF, and they'd be welcome for sure. But I know they won't have any firearms coming with them...

Do any of you have 2-3 "cheaper" ARs that you bought primarily for other people to use? And if so, what brand rifles are they?

I know I want to stick with ARs since I have tons of magazines, ammo, and parts that will work with all makes of AR. Im thinking getting a "cheaper" brand would be good since it won't get much daily use, like the LMT and DD do, but will be available should the need arise.

And what brands would be good for this? A cheap S&W M&P15? Maybe an RRA, Bushmaster, or Olympic Arms?

Is it worth spending ~$800 on one of those rifles, or just save up and get a ~$1200 Colt? Two $1200 Colts would take the place of THREE RRAs or Bushmasters...

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I recently picked up a second Rifle as a backup. I plan on keeping this one stock for easy barrel changes etc. I'd say stick with the quality manufacturers recommended on here-especially for your back ups. Also, unless the folks you plan on supplying rifles to already practice with em, the time to get em up to speed isn't when things are going south.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    Lately I've been thinking - should I buy another AR? Maybe 2 more? 3 more? I have a small group of friends/family that I think would definitely show up at my house if the SHTF, and they'd be welcome for sure. But I know they won't have any firearms coming with them...
    This is one reason why SKSs and Mosin Nagants are so popular. "Loaners" to pass around, think force multiplier.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 12-16-11 at 03:28.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would stick with the most simple rifle to operate for untrained members of your party which would be a bolt action rifle or a pump action shotgun. The simplicity of the operation of the action and loading will allow them to fire, reload and clear malfunctions quickly without pulling you from your duties else where to instruct them on the issue.

Not to sound cold but allowing people to drop in when a SHTF kicks off unprepared is a major liability and will wipe out your reserves quickly. I would select friends who can bring skills and resources to the group and not just be there to partake in your prep's. I would have strict rules of what is expected and who is in charge of the group and they must bring at least two weeks of food and water with them or entry will be denied.

Think of it this way if a person will not take responsibility for there own safety with proper stores and weapons during good times what do you think they will do when the SHTF and they are only thinking about their own survival. I don't need that kind of wild card in the deck as the event plays out.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 12-16-11 at 07:41.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    2 more Colt's sounds like a good plan and invite your family to go shooting with you, this IMO would be a win-win.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I am building another rifle as backup. Probably a Noveske upper, spikes lower (I posted it here a while back). I run a SCAR as a primary and I rather have an AR15 so I can practice on both platforms....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are you talking about spending $500-$1,000 on supplies for OTHER people?

Isnt that the same as spending money on extra food and water for other people?

Then that goes without saying youre Supplying other people who FAILED to be prepared/prepare and stock up on stuff.

This isnt anything new, the collapse or SHTF is not something that "Just Happens", there are signs and the economy is a perfect example.

Im sorry but I refuse to take food away from my family and give it to someone with the attitude of "IM comin to YOUR house!"

Its something I hear on almost a weekly basis.

Anyway to answer your question, if youre gonna have a backup rifle, (back up to ME IMO means "Last resort" weapon) then I would CERTAINLY want to make sure my "Last resort" weapon is going to be just as reliable as my primary.

In short, it is NOT okay under any circumstances to buy "Garbage".

No matter what you call a turd...its still a turd, and you cant polish a turd.

It sounds to me like youre trying to justify buying crap and get positive reinforcement for it.

Do you think a reserve chute that skydivers use is of LESSER quality?

If Im gonna trust my life on something, Im not gonna argue price or try to justify it and HOPE it works.

I want the comfort in KNOWING.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    This is one reason why SKSs and Mosin Nagants are so popular. "Loaners" to pass around, think force multiplier.
    I can agree with this also. I know some people its a very good option.

I dont want the headache of having 4+ different kinds of ammo that I have to worry about though.

I have my 9mm, 30-06, 7.62x39, .22 on TOP of my AR platforms.

Thats alot of ammo and mags right there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    Depending on the other peoples weapon skills I would go with a pump shotgun if their skill level is low. Shells are cheap and very easy to come by. Shotgun is also a very good home defense gun. You could go with either slugs or buckshot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with BCm I hate to hear the Friends Say 'I coming to your House" I always chuckle and say you will be shot if you come with nothing ,Come with supplies and you are welcome .thats when the say "Uh MMMMM"

NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast