Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: No love for the 10mm?

Feedback Score
    I didn't mean to start anything. I was really just wanted to buy some full power 10mm from a reputable manufacturer. It's a bummer there are such limited offerings.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BullittBoy View Post
    In response to #1 I have shot it (135 grain handloads, Cor-Bon, Triton (back when they were around) into wet news pack and phone books wet and dry and compared it to .357 Mag loads and 9mm,.40, and .45 loads and the 135 Nosler or Sierra had excellent expansion and fragmented extremely well. It is a regular soft point bullet so it will not be a great barrier round, but would be a good home defense load where you are concerned about over-penetration. I have shot it out of both my Colt and Kimber 5" Govt. models and it is very accurate as well. I would not want to be hit by it
    Fragmentation by a handgun round is never, ever a good thing. It is decidedly a negative. Reducing weight means reducing penetration. Penetration is vital to stopping a determined attacker.

#2 the Gold Dot is a bonded hollow point and does extremely well with barriers. I shot the 155 grain load from Georgia Arms into a 1970's Torino and it did extremely well in comparison to other 9mm and .40 I have tested. Glass penetration and door penetration is what I tested and it went through both extremely well, as did most 40 and 9mm bonded bullets. It is an extremely hot load, and is very accurate as well.
    Just shooting into barriers doesnt tell you how well a bullet does or doesnt work. Seeing as the quality constructed JHPs of the 3 most common service pistol calibers work very well against common hard intermediate barriers, what is it that the 10mm does better to justify its additional cost, much less its existence?

You may not want to get shot by a 10mm, I dont want to get shot by anything.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swatdude1 View Post
    I didn't mean to start anything. I was really just wanted to buy some full power 10mm from a reputable manufacturer. It's a bummer there are such limited offerings.
    You're not starting anything. Really if you want to have decent loadings in a safer power range you should get into reloading. Once you branch out of the standard service calibers, it becomes harder to get decent(and safer) loadings.

There are a few loads here:
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....low-point-ammo

As you can see, the latest and greated JHP designs are not being offered in the 10mm. I'd go with the Hornady 200gr XTP myself.

Feedback Score
    did you look at the document I posted with the chrono testing? There are 52 commercially available loads listed on there.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I won't specifically get into self defense scenarios with the XTP bullets because I don't have any factual data to back up any claims but the XTP has been fantastic is several calibers on medium game, specifically whitetail deer.

I especially like the 45 caliber version both in muzzleloaders with a sabot and a 45 long colt loaded heavy.

If the .40 works as well as the .357, .429 and .451 loadings it will be a good load all together for hunting medium game.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post
    did you look at the document I posted with the chrono testing? There are 52 commercially available loads listed on there.
    Yes I did. I was hoping that Winchester, Federal, Hornady or Speer would have a decent loading but it looks like even the Hornady offerings are more at .40sw velocities. It really looks like from your data, DoubleTap is the way to go. Anyone know what bullet their controlled expansion JHP uses?

The only other one is the Winchester Silvertip. Doc, I seem to remember some negative info on the silvertip. What is your impression of this bullet design?
    Last edited by Swatdude1; 12-19-11 at 20:33.

Feedback Score
    Yes I did. I was hoping that Winchester, Federal, Hornady or Speer would have a decent loading but it looks like even the Hornady offerings are more at .40sw velocities. It really looks like from your data, DoubleTap is the way to go. Anyone know what bullet their controlled expansion JHP uses?
    They used to load the gold dot in the 180 JHP load, but there is a good chance that it's an XTP. a call would solve teh mystery.

Also note that their velocity claims are far from accurate in most cases.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    Fail safe-I can tell you have never fired a 10mm, that I am pretty positive of, or you do not own one.
    The OP asked a straightforward question about 10mm's I am trying to help answer.
    How can you say "fragmentation is bad" when I state the 135 load is a good low penetration home defense load-but yet a lot of folks use 5.56 hp's that fragment to some degree-like the 75 grain Hornady?
    According to Double Tap it (135 gr.) goes 12" into ballistics gel, which is still pretty good.

I own and have owned .32, .380, 9mm Mak, 9mm,.40, 10mm, .357 Sig, and .45 and have shot ALL of them over the last 20 years into various "mediums" from water, wet newspack, phone books, car windshields, and car bodies of OLD SCHOOL cars from the 70's and early 80's. My pop has a bunch of old cars behind his house in the country.
    Now I am not a "ballistician" nor do I shoot into ballistic gel but I have fired a lot of different hollow points and FMJ from all the above calibers into different mediums and animals and I can assure you that the 10mm is one of the best auto handgun calibers ever invented.
    No it's not the "flavor of the month" but it is an extremely accurate round and it shoots very flat and has the widest bullet selection from 125-220 grains to be able to be used for any number of tasks you could ever ask a handgun caliber to perform.
    It is great in the 1911 or Glock formats, and the older Smith 10 series are excellent if you can find one.
    I know it is never going to be a "LE" round but to me it is a great round.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fail safe-I can tell you have never fired a 10mm, that I am pretty positive of, or you do not own one.
    The OP asked a straightforward question about 10mm's I am trying to help answer.
    How can you say "fragmentation is bad" when I state the 135 load is a good low penetration home defense load-but yet a lot of folks use 5.56 hp's that fragment to some degree-like the 75 grain Hornady?
    According to Double Tap it (135 gr.) goes 12" into ballistics gel, which is still pretty good.

I own and have owned .32, .380, 9mm Mak, 9mm,.40, 10mm, .357 Sig, and .45 and have shot ALL of them over the last 20 years into various "mediums" from water, wet newspack, phone books, car windshields, and car bodies of OLD SCHOOL cars from the 70's and early 80's. My pop has a bunch of old cars behind his house in the country.
    Now I am not a "ballistician" nor do I shoot into ballistic gel but I have fired a lot of different hollow points and FMJ from all the above calibers into different mediums and animals and I can assure you that the 10mm is one of the best auto handgun calibers ever invented.
    No it's not the "flavor of the month" but it is an extremely accurate round and it shoots very flat and has the widest bullet selection from 125-220 grains to be able to be used for any number of tasks you could ever ask a handgun caliber to perform.
    It is great in the 1911 or Glock formats, and the older Smith 10 series are excellent if you can find one.
    I know it is never going to be a "LE" round but to me it is a great round.
    Fragmentation in a pistol round can't be compared to fragmentation in a rifle round like the 5.56. Velocities are very different.

Feedback Score
    As noted (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34714), handgun bullet fragmentation is not a desirable characteristic.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast