Thread: Disassembled short barrel

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Disassembled short barrel

Just a quick question. Are barrels that are stripped under 16" still considered an NFA part? I talking about no gas block, etc.. Just the barrel extension and barrel. That's it.
    If not, when does it actually become an NFA part? Once the upper is 100% complete ready to be slapped on a lower?

TIA

Feedback Score
    It is not an NFA item until it is put on a lower. The lower, not the barrel is the registered part.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sounds good. I wanted to order a Noveske 13.7" barrel w/ KX3 but wasn't going to permanently pin it on until I had it completely together.. Makes it easier now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not a problem.

People on other sites will tell you all kinds of nonsense like store it at your grandma's house and such.

These are the folks who can't live life without a specific set of guidelines and boundaries. Masturbators who flood the ATF with idiotic letters of inquiry. Not capable of thinking independently at all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Not a problem.

People on other sites will tell you all kinds of nonsense like store it at your grandma's house and such.

These are the folks who can't live life without a specific set of guidelines and boundaries. Masturbators who flood the ATF with idiotic letters of inquiry. Not capable of thinking independently at all.

Thats what I was told originally as well.Supposedly not able to keep parts together that can make a SBR without approval..Argument is that it shows intent and if for some reason your are not approved,youre in violation of having an unregistered SBR..

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Complete horse shit from the mamby pamby booger eaters.

I view it as cut and dry....

If you snap the takedown pins on it without the papers or perm attach done, that's when you are in violation.

This is all retarded speculation anyway. Unless you're running a meth lab or some other criminal entity, the gubment isn't going to have any reason to see what you have under your roof in the first place.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I used to find it funny when guys with registered auto sears would walk into this minefield ... because in that instance, the sear itself is/was the restricted part.

I guess the point is that if you have an NFA length barrel with no SBR registration (or no means of showing intent to register an SBR), you may not be in violation, but it certainly begs the question what you're up to -- especially since the component(s) have no lawful use in your situation, and could so readily be put into use in an unlawful manner. (As stated, it makes no difference whether we're talking about a lone barrel or a completed upper.)

The ATF loves to follow logic trails like this, and if you think it is ridiculous, consider how you can be charged with DUI in many states simply for sleeping in the front seat of your car in a tavern parking lot with your keys in the ignition. Still, let's face it: if you're staring a BATF agent down in your living room, you've probably got much worse things to be worried about than a few inches of rifle barrel.

Chief

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Someone from TOS should write a letter to the ATF!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Madsmiley View Post
    Thats what I was told originally as well.Supposedly not able to keep parts together that can make a SBR without approval..Argument is that it shows intent and if for some reason your are not approved,youre in violation of having an unregistered SBR..
    Regardless what demigod says, technically you should not have SBR uppers laying around without either an SBR or pistol lower.

They can and most likely would charge you with constructive intent if you could assemble an unregistered SBR with parts you have on hand.

However, who the hell is going to know?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with Mark.

If they want to claim constructive intent, you have them contact the NFA branch to see that you submitted an application. To me, that's constructive intent to construct a LEGAL SBR. No need to worry there.

But, if you happen to like collecting short uppers and haven't filled out any forms and don't intend to, well, you're on your own.

ETA: We really should decide who should and shouldn't be giving NFA advice on this site. It's not fair for the guy who wants to learn to have to listen to differing "opinions."

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...