Thread: Colt A2 Sporter II

Feedback Score

Colt A2 Sporter II

My dad came across a Colt A2 Sporter II with a couple of standard GI 30rd. mags. that a friend of his has. The serial # crosses to a 1974-75. He is asking $1000.00. What do you guys think? I really what a carbine but could save a few $$'s. Is it a good choice for home defense and range use?

Tim
    Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Average price and it was made in the 1980s.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Thanks Scott, about what I figured. Think I'll save my money for a 6920. That's what I want anyway.
    Tim
    Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    It's not a bad choice, but as Scott said, this isn't an especially noteworthy deal. Some guys really get into the whole Blue Label/Green label discussion with these older Colts, and obsess over things like receiver blocks, but the moral of the story is that this is probably a great rifle.

Trouble is, if you want a carbine, then with the law being what it is right now, there is no reason not to just go buy exactly what you want for a few dollars more.

Chief

Feedback Score
    Yes, for some reason I keep trying to talk myself out of a 6920 but that is what I really want. My only problem is with the stock, it seems cheap. Do you think that changing to a sopmod or a magpul will adversely affect the whole "stock Colt with no mods" value of the rifle?
    Tim

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    There's really nothing wrong with the regular stock, but this isn't a question of resale value or anything else; it's merely a question of what you feel best meets your needs, or has the features you're looking for.

Stocks can be changed without permanently affecting anything, so if you prefer a SOPMOD or a Magpul, then there is no reason not to swap them out. I would, however, actually buy the carbine and then get some trigger time on it before devoting too much thought to making changes. You might be surprised that what seems cheap to you now might actually turn out to be a pretty well thought-out solution later. If not, well, there are several good alternatives on the market, so you really can't lose.

Chief

Feedback Score
    Chief, thanks for the good advice and yes, I will put some ammo down range before I change anything.
    Tim

Feedback Score
    Resistance is futile... buy the 6920 when youy can afford it. (Mine was on layaway for three months before I walked out with it. It was worth it.)