Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 12 o'clock light mount...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Not Stony, but the advantage I've always heard about is you don't have to expose as much of your torso or melon when shooting over/around cover. With the light at 6:00, you have to get the weapon out far enough for the light to clear the cover, and in so doing you expose more of yourself.

That is correct.

C4

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    That is correct.

C4

Thanks Grant and jmart.

Grant, just sent you an email about a light setup.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Not Stony, but the advantage I've always heard about is you don't have to expose as much of your torso or melon when shooting over/around cover. With the light at 6:00, you have to get the weapon out far enough for the light to clear the cover, and in so doing you expose more of yourself.
    It can also help to reduce the "shadowing" effect depending on your barrel length.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt5172 View Post
    Stony, is there any advantage to the 12 o'clock mount over a 6 o'clock mount?
    I did it for one primary (95%) reason and one borderline aesthetic and possibly practical (5%) reason.

Primary: The light and hence the beam is closer to my line of sight. Potentially, the light at the 6 o'clock might have some of the beam obscured by the barrel. What I am shooting at is above the bore line, not below it.

Since I run a standard FSB, with the light at the 12 o'clock the light is "below" the profile of the FSB. It's slightly and I emphasize, slightly protected by the FSB. If I have the light at the 6 o'clock I make the profile/footprint of my weapon larger.

At the Green Lake Tactical Association (GTA) Sniper Match I had to engage targets with my carbine through a horizontal slit. Although this was a daylight shoot, if it required illumination, I would have been hosed with the light at 6 o'clock or I would have had to rotate my carbine 90 degrees about the long axis and shoot it gangsta' style yo!

With my setup if there was a hybrid of the X200 or X300 and the Scout light, I think it would be the ideal light for the 12 o'clock position. The question is: would there be enough of a demand/market to make it worthwhile for Surefire to make such a product?

Feedback Score
    Stony, what is your idea of a X200/ Scout light combination?
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSguy View Post
    Stony, what is your idea of a X200/ Scout light combination?
    Grant,

If my response constitutes a thread hijack, I apologize and feel free to delete this response.

Re: the hybrid idea.

Take the rectangular body of the X series, but "bend" it so that is straddles the 12 o'clock rail on either side with the batteries housed at the 10 and 2 o'clock position. Have the lamp assembly at the 12 o'clock but as low as possible. Have the provision for push button or tape switch or both e.g. at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions behind the battery compartment.

Hopefully, the result is shorter than the Scout light, has a lower profile and is easier to activate on a carbine than the X series lights.

Actually, it would fit on the 3, 6 or 9 o'clock positions, but I'm trying to optimize it for the 12 o'clock position.

Kevin B's carbine rail setup is very similar to mine, i.e. rail extending in front of the FBS.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting idea Stony. Thanks for sharing.
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hmm

Even a X300 with a "DevGrp" style pressure pad that bends down on the side (either side option) and fits along the top of the rail panel
    all you'd need then is a moddified backplate

I love the pressure paddle on the NVEC Attila - and somethign similar like that I would dig...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score

Just an alternative....

Found this 12 o'clock mount:

Opinions...http://www.tdi-arms.com/store.php?pid=274"]

link doesn't work anymore.
    Last edited by TheGhostRider; 07-15-09 at 20:16. Reason: bad link
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stony275 View Post
    Grant,

If my response constitutes a thread hijack, I apologize and feel free to delete this response.

Re: the hybrid idea.

Take the rectangular body of the X series, but "bend" it so that is straddles the 12 o'clock rail on either side with the batteries housed at the 10 and 2 o'clock position. Have the lamp assembly at the 12 o'clock but as low as possible. Have the provision for push button or tape switch or both e.g. at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions behind the battery compartment.

Hopefully, the result is shorter than the Scout light, has a lower profile and is easier to activate on a carbine than the X series lights.

Actually, it would fit on the 3, 6 or 9 o'clock positions, but I'm trying to optimize it for the 12 o'clock position.

Kevin B's carbine rail setup is very similar to mine, i.e. rail extending in front of the FBS.
    I had a thought.

How about incorporating a fixed AR front sight right into the body of the light?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast